Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Science Diplomacy
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 4 Days
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 14420
About the course
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Washington, DC, USA, and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Trieste, Italy, are jointly organizing AAAS-TWAS Course on Science Diplomacy and is therefore looking for applicants, mainly from developing countries, to attend the uniquely designed training program. The course was established to expose policymakers, scientists, diplomats to science diplomacy concepts. Ever since it has trained over 200 emerging leaders from more than 50 countries.
Application deadline: April 20, 2022
Hosts: TWAS and AAAS
Location of the event (organization): Italy
Delivery mode: Virtual (due to the Covid)
The medium used: Zoom application
Course dates: July 25 – August 3, 2022
Notification of result: By late May 2022
Benefits of the course
- Upon request, a small amount will be provided for the participants to help them prepare good connectivity (internet connection fee, equipped computer space room, rent for modem, etc.).
- Alumni of the course will become part of a global network of young leaders and creatives spanning across borders to tackle societal problems and become agents of change in their countries and sectors.
What should you have to participate in the course?
- The course is delivered using Zoom, therefore, applicants should have a fast and reliable internet connection in a quiet space in advance like home or office.
- It is recommendable that candidates join the program via computer, not mobile or tablet.
To foster the bond between scientists and governmental officials, policymakers, and diplomats, AAAS-TWAS invites applicants to apply in pairs. Both participants in the group should be residing and/or working in the same country (developing countries preferred).
The applicants in the ‘participant pair’ should have some common interest in the fields of science, technology, and innovation.
The ‘participant pair’ will consist of:
Participant 1: a Young Scientist (40 years or younger) who has done research that has broader engagement and has international policymaking implications or applications, and
Participant 2: from the policymaking field, working on science, technology, and innovation-related issues. This person should pertain to one of the following categories:
– A local or national government official.
– A policymaker.
– A diplomat.
– A representative of an academy of sciences.
– Civil servant.
– A representative of a research funding institution.
– Staff or expert working for and/or with an international (e.g. UN) organization.
- The course is open to participants with relevant backgrounds from across the world, but priority will be given to candidates from developing countries.
- Applicants from 66 Science and Technology-Lagging Countries (STLCs) and 47 Least Developed Countries (LDCs) are especially encouraged to apply.
- Women, as well as refugees or displaced scientists, are especially welcome to apply.
- Candidates should not have previously participated in any AAAS-TWAS course on science diplomacy, including regional workshops.
Similar opportunities you may like:
- TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences for Individual Scientists (20,000 USD)
- TWAS-CAS Young Scientists Award 2021 for Frontier Science (USD10,000)
- AMPS Challenge for Improving Power Systems Reliability for Innovators and Engineers Worldwide (250,000 USD prize)
- TWAS-Atta-ur-Rahman Award in Chemistry for Scientists from Developing Countries ($5000 award)
- TWAS-Fayzah M. Al-Kharafi Prize for Women Scientists (4,000 USD Prize)
An expert committee will be formed by the two host institutions to assess the applications.
How to apply?
Application is online, with the participants submitting twin applications for the training. The two applicants should submit applications individually and confirm their partner’s participation on the application form.
Participant 1 should apply HERE.
Participant 2 has to submit an application here.
Note: the links are different.
Moreover, as part of the application, applicants need to submit some supporting documents to [email protected]. The documents are listed on the form.