Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Opportunity ID 118206
The World Academy of Science (TWAS) offers research grants in basic sciences to outstanding researchers. Under the current scheme, grants are offered to promising advanced research projects in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics conducted by individual scientists in one of the Science &Technology-lagging countries defined by TWAS. Therefore, if you are a researcher from a developing county, submit your proposal focusing on the development of research tools for developing countries.
Application deadline: May 11, 2022
Awarding institution: TWAS
Supported by: Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
Type of the opportunity: Grant
Grant provision duration: 24 months
Grant amount: 20000 USD for an individual scholar intended to buy equipment, consumables, and literature related to research. It does not cover salary, research and travel expenses, and so forth.
The research grant aims to:
- Strengthen and advance scientific research in basic sciences in developing nations;
- Boost developing countries’ endogenous capacity in science;
- Decrease the exodus of scientific minds from the South;
- Develop and sustain units of scientific excellence in S&TLC over a longer period to help them achieve a critical mass of highly qualified and innovative researchers capable of combatting genuine problems confronting their countries.
Apply for or share similar opportunities with your friends.
- TWAS-CAS Young Scientists Award 2021 for Frontier Science (USD10,000)
- UNESCO-Russia Mendeleev International Prize in the Basic Sciences ($500,000 prize+ gold medal)
- UNESCO-Equatorial Guinea International Prize for Research in the Life Sciences 2021 (USD 350,000 prize)
Eligibilities for nomination
- Individual applicants must be citizens of developing countries. They must be an early-career researcher, but already with some research experience and holder of a Ph.D. degree.
- Candidates must hold a position at a university or research institution in one of the eligible countries mentioned above and be below the age of 45.
- At the time of application, the applicant must NOT be in receipt of an active research grant with TWAS or OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship.
- Women scientists and researchers working in least Developed Countries are especially encouraged to apply.
- The research proposal applicants submit must be strong, they may read further information on how to write a strong proposal by visiting AuthorAID.
- Individual researchers who submit a reasonable final report on a previous grant may reapply.
- Please remember that applicants may submit an application for only one program/ one kind of grant per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio.
How to apply?
Qualified individual scientists can only apply by submitting an online application through TWAS website linked below.
For application documents and more information, please refer to TWAS Research Grant .
If you have queries regarding the application, please address them to [email protected].