Opportunity ID 34986
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Sciences
Opportunity Type : Partially Funded
Duration 2 to 4 weeks
Language of Instruction English
Applications are open for The World Academy of Science (TWAS) Visiting Expert Program. This program supports institutions and research clusters in developing countries, especially the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and those with inadequate outside contacts, with opportunities to establish long-term relationships with world leaders in areas of science except mathematics and physics, and help develop capacity-building in their country.
- Application deadline: October 9, 2023
- Organizing institution: The World Academy of Science (TWAS)
- Duration of visit: Two-four weeks at the respective institution
- Fields: Natural Sciences other than Physics and Mathematics
- Eligible applicants: Any
- Age limit: None
- Minimum degree held: PhD
About the program
Under the program, potential host institutions can invite internationally recognized experts in areas of science to collaborate in research and training. The program expects the visiting expert to interact closely with faculty and students of the host institution aiming to strengthen its existing activities and/or assist in the establishment of new lines of research. Furthermore, the visiting expert could also present lectures and seminars to research students, monitor students, undertake research, and discuss future collaborative partnerships.
Upon completion of the visit, both the visiting expert and the host institution should provide exhaustive reports indicating the impact the visit has had on the educational and research programs of the host institution.
- TWAS will provide the Visiting Expert with the most direct roundtrip economy class travel
- Local expenses are expected to be covered by the host institutions.
The suitability criteria include:
- Open to organizations and research groups in developing countries, especially the Least Developed Countries;
- Only people who have gained international recognition in their fields of science will be eligible for support under this program.
- Candidates will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Scholars programs. One exception: the head of an institution that invites an external academic to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programs can still apply for another program.
- Nominations of women will be highly welcomed.
How to Apply?
Institutions wishing to apply for this program must complete the online application form.
Required documents for application submission:
- Brief CV of the Visiting Expert (at most ten pages) and list of scholarly publications;
- Letter from the Visiting Expert explaining the research and teaching program with which he/she could assist at the host institute (pattern available in the online form);
- Supporting statement from the head of the host institution (template exists in the online form).
For more details about TWAS Visiting Expert Program, visit the TWAS’ website.