Opportunity ID 9635
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Sustainablity and Ocean Laws
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 9 Months
Language of Instruction English
The United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship applications are open to international candidates for 2024. This fellowship program provides Government officials and mid-level professionals from developing countries with cutting-edge training on the law of the sea and ocean affairs. The program also includes training in related disciplines, such as marine science, supporting management frameworks.
By participating in the United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship, fellows will learn about global legal frameworks, main issues, and best practices in ocean affairs. They will learn, become familiar with the United Nations’ works, and develop professional skills.
Furthermore, fellows will conduct individual research and develop a thesis on a selected topic under academic supervision.
Upon completing the Fellowship program, fellows should return to their countries. They should help formulate comprehensive ocean policy and implement the legal regime outlined in the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.
Organizer: United Nations
Partner: Nippon Foundation
Application Deadline: 08 September 2023
Fellowship Duration: 9 Months (2 Phases)
Host Institutions: 34 worldwide host institution
Phases of United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship
The United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship is a 9-month Program comprising two consecutive phases. Throughout these phases, Fellows will undertake advanced research and training opportunities in their chosen fields:
- Phase One: 3 months of research and training at the UN Headquarters in New York, usually between March/April and June.
- Phase Two: 6 months of Advanced Academic Research and Study, typically conducted between July and December at one of the participating Host Institutions and guided by subject matter expert(s) with acknowledged in-depth expertise in the Fellows’ selected field of study.
The United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship will cover the following costs:
- A monthly stipend of $163 per month for Afghan citizens
- Book allowance of $100 for phase two of the scholarship (total $600)
- An economy class air ticket from the applicant’s home country and a return air ticket to complete their fellowship bought by American Expressor (AMEX)
- The UN will provide a visa support letter to assist the fellows and the authorities with determining the appropriate visa classification. Please note that fellows will be responsible for their visa costs
- 100% medical insurance by Cigna Health Insurance for general medical expenses and hospital treatments up to a certain limit.
Note: Fellows are responsible for housing and family member costs. Also, please note that each country’s stipend rates are varied and in compliance with the UN stipend rates for each country. For further information about the country vice rate of this Fellowship amount, please click the official link here.
Check More Opportunities:
Eligibility Criteria for United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship
All applicants should meet the following criteria:
- The fellow’s age must be between 25-40 years;
- Applicants must have finished their first university degree successfully
- Demonstrate the capability of undertaking independent advanced academic research and study
- The candidate must be a mid-level professional from a national government organ of a developing country or other governmental or non-governmental agency in such a State. In such a case, applicants should deal directly with ocean affairs issues, and their position must allow them to assist their country now.
- Propose a research and study program that must directly contribute to the formation or implementation of the law of the sea policies, ocean affairs, and programs in their home country;
- Be free of all non-Fellowship obligations throughout their Fellowship period unless otherwise, the Division has authorized them;
- A Government or other official who can confirm the nature of the applicant’s work concerning the Government’s ocean affairs should complete the Nomination and Recommendation Form.
United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship’s Deliverables and Materials
The Fellowship Program’s deliverables are as follows:
- A written thesis of 100 pages
- A presentation of the research
- A matrix for ocean governance
- Application Form
- Please answer the questions clearly and thoroughly;
- Pust consideration on sections 18, 19, and 20;
- Candidates should not attach more than one additional page of the same size if necessary;
- The recommendation letter form must be completed and signed by the official authority.
How to Apply for United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship?
Please follow these steps to apply successfully for the United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship program 2024:
- Download the application form and then fill all the fields electronically and with sentence case, not all capital letters.
- Apply handwritten or electronic signature.
- Tab the “Save” option to save all changes and return the form as a Word or PDF
- If needed, only attach ONE additional page.
- The Application form is into two parts:
- The Personal History and Proposed Research or Study Program Form
- The Nomination and Recommendation Form
- Applicants should sign the first form, and the official nominating entity should sign the second one. Return the documents in either Word or PDF format.
- After completing and signing both forms, please email them to DOALOS at firstname.lastname@example.org before 8 September
Submission Email: DOALOS@un.org
Please visit the United Nations official website for further information about United Nations – Nippon Foundation Fellowship.
Check More Opportunities: