Opportunity ID 149898
Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Fields of study Sustainibility, Envoirnment
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Language of Instruction EnglishFrench
Nominations are now open for the UNESCO Sultan Qaboos Prize for Environmental Conservation 2023. The prize recognizes outstanding contributions by individuals, groups of people, institutes, or organizations in the management and environmental protection in line with the policies and objectives of UNESCO and regarding the organization’s programs in this field.
Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and Member States with official partnerships with UNESCO can submit nominations for the 2023 prize edition. Nominations of female candidates are strongly encouraged to ensure they are better represented in the selection of laureates.
Details of the Prize
Nomination Deadline: 15 July 2023
Awarding Institution: UNESCO
Funded by: Sultan Qaboos Bin Said, Sultanate of Oman
Prize Value: 100,000 USD and a diploma to the winner(s) of the 2023 prize during the World Science Forum 2024.
- The prize is open to all UNESCO member countries.
- Governments of member countries, in consultation with UNESCO’s national commissions and NGOs in official relationships with the institution, can nominate an eligible candidate.
- Candidates must have demonstrated an excellent contribution in one of the following areas:
- Environmental and natural resources research;
- Generation of ecological awareness through the preparation of environmental information materials;
- Environmental education and training;
- Construction and management of protected areas, such as biosphere reserves and natural World Heritage site
To nominate a candidate, all nominators should follow these conditions:
- Eligible nominees must be appointed by the government of member states, non-governmental organizations that maintain official relationships with UNESCO, and active if field under the umbrella of the prize.
- Self-nominations are not acceptable.
- Nominations may be in English or French language.
The nomination shall include the following documents in English or French:
- Nomination Form
- A recommendation letter from the Member State or NGO
- An endorsement letter from the National Commission of the country concerned.
How to Submit a Nomination?
Qualified nominators (UNESCO Members States in consultation with their National Commissions and by Non-Governmental Organizations maintaining official partnerships with UNESCO) should fill in the nomination form to propose a candidate. After submitting the form, applicants will receive instructions to send the recommendation letter, endorsement letter, and any other documents supporting the nomination to the Secretariat.
Before filling in the nomination form, please prepare the followings:
- Contact information of the Member State or NGO submitting the nomination;
- Contact information of the candidate;
- Information on the candidate’s current occupation;
- Summary of significant contributions made by the candidate to the management or conservation of the environment;
- An overview of relevant work and results, publications, and other supporting documents;
- Contact information of three referees who are familiar with the candidate’s work.
See the UNESCO link for the Sultan Qaboos Prize for more details.
Check More Opportunties: