Fields of study Engineering
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 10 Years
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 209924
The call for the Chair in Emerging Technologies Award (CiET) of the Royal Academy of Engineering is open to international engineers. This scheme is about £2.5M over ten years, aiming to identify and provide long-term support to global research visionaries. The research should develop emerging technology areas that can potentially deliver social and economic benefits to the United Kingdom.
The funding body behind this scheme is the Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy-BEIS Department of the United Kingdom. In addition to providing long-term employment and research costs for the winners, the award enables a strategic and sustained focus on advancing the technology to application. The total award value is about £2.5 million over ten years with a payment term of £250,000 per year. The Academy reserve the right to adjust the total funding amount.
To win the awards, participants require a robust case for the value of an extended long-term vision by applying the technology. The Academy encourages applications that make a case for disruptive innovation in well-established areas or disregarded fields. Also, the case for new emerging technologies is most welcome.
Registrations Status: Open
Registration Deadline: 11 April 2023 (16.00 BST)
Project Dates: 4 March 2024 till 3 March 2034
Award Duration: 10 Years
Awarding Body: Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS)
Location: United Kingdom (UK)
Medium of Instruction: English
Funding Type: Fully-funded
Eligible Country: All
Field of Study: Engineering
Benefits of the Chair in Emerging Technologies Award
By participating in the CiET Award, fellows will benefit from the following:
- Total £2.5M award for over ten years with an annual payment of £250,000.
- Mentorship by Fellows of the Academy to provide independent guidance throughout the award.
- Training and networking opportunities with and through the Academy’s Fellowship and Events program.
- Global Talent visa support for applicants based outside the UK.
Requirements for the Chair in Emerging Technologies Award
Candidates who wish to apply for the Chair in Emerging Technologies Award must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants who have modified and improved their projects can resubmit their entries.
- Submitted projects should start on 4 March 2024 and end on 3 March 2034. Any submission with alternative dates will not be eligible.
- CiET is a professorial appointment, so applicants should be engineers without a Professorial title. Applicants must have demonstrated research achievements for consideration for Professorial promotion.
- Applicants can hold the Awards only at a university or mutually between the university and an organization. The organizations include research institutes, national laboratories, and innovation organizations based in the UK. The Academy will exclusively contract with the university.
- Applicants outside the UK university system should provide a letter of appointment from the university indicating conditional award receiving.
- Applications are welcome from across a broad range of engineering and technology. These include areas currently considered basic science but require engineering approaches to drive them toward application. Also, applications can be in areas where technologies are well-established but could be significantly improvable by novel approaches.
- Applications should make a clear case for long-term sustained strategic support for the technology programs with at least ten years’ vision.
- Short-term proposals are not appropriate and supportable.
- Current Academy Research Chairs are eligible to apply but cannot hold both awards simultaneously.
- The Academy prioritizes diversity and encourages applications from women and under-represented groups across the engineering field.
How to Apply for the Chair in Emerging Technologies Award?
All applications procedure is online via the Academy’s grants system.
- Applicants should first register and provide basic login information to create a profile and complete the application form.
- Next, applicants must get approval and support for their proposal from their dean or pro-vice chancellor and the research grants office before applying.
- Only applicants can apply and should leave plenty of time to complete the application form before the deadline.
- Please read and have the guidance notes in hand when completing the application form.
- Many questions have word limits, keep their answers focused, and indicate the level of detail they require.
- In case of any questions concerning the application or the online grants system, please contact [email protected].
Check More Opportunities:
James Dyson Award for Engineering Students and Recent Graduates (€34,000)
Kazakhstan Scholarship for International Students in 2023 (Bachelor’s, Master, and Ph.D.)
Young Health Program Impact Fellowship to Attend OYW Summit 2023, UK (Fully Funded Scholarship)
For further information about the Chair in Emerging Technologies Award, please visit the official website, read the FAQs section, or review the CiET Applicant Guidance.