Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 1
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
About the programme
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that is mandated to promote volunteerism to uphold peace and development worldwide. Therefore, volunteerism can evolve the pace and essence of development, and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer.
Title: Gender Equality Volunteer
Host institution: UN Office of the Secretary Generals’ Envoy on Youth (UNOSGEY)
Country of assignment: United States
Duty Location: New York (USA)
Volunteer Category: International Youth
No of Volunteer: 1
Language Required: English
Starting Date: Immediate
Duration: 12 months
Application Deadline: June 18, 2020
A volunteer earns a Volunteer Living Allowance (VLA) monthly and is paid at the end of each month to cover accommodation, utilities, transportation, communications, and other essential needs.
Eligibility criteria for the volunteer in GE
- Candidates should be aged 18-29 years throughout the entire period of their service.
- Citizens of the country of the assignment are ineligible, except the assignments are in Headquarters duty stations.
Generally, Under the direct supervision of the UNOSGEY and as part of a UN team, the Youth Volunteer will carry out the following tasks:
- Support the Program Officer/Gender Specialist in the implementation of the OSGEYs approach to significant youth inclusion in the Beijing+25 process and Generation Equality Forum
- Assist the Program Officer/Gender Specialist in strategic promotion of political participation as a focus area for OSGEY
- Contribute to the organization of a forthcoming conference on Young Women’s Political Participation
- Support the development of key messages, briefing notes, background notes and talking points for the Youth Envoy
- Provide technical support for research activities
- Ensure entire programmatic support including organizing side events, meetings, webinars and communication campaigns on gender equality
- Assist with writing proposals for funding for initiatives and donor reporting
- Liaise with different branches of the UN system, civil society institutions, feminist organizations, youth-led, and youth-serving organizations
- Promote the mainstreaming of gender equality youth and youth volunteer standpoints in the work of UN field operations throughout all UN pillars (development, peace and security, human rights, humanitarian) INCLUDING common initiatives (e.g. in the context of projects under the Peacebuilding Fund, the SDG Fund, the UNDP-DPPA Joint Programme, the Spotlight Initiative, etc.)
- Participate in coordination meetings within and outside the UN system on behalf of OSGEY
Moreover, the UN Youth Volunteers are required to:
- Foster their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading related UNV and additional publications and actively partake in UNV activities;
- Be familiar with and launch traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Give feedback on or discuss the type and quality of voluntary activities that they are conducting, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Produce articles/write-ups on field experiences and share them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press statements, etc.;
- Help the UNV Buddy Programme with newly-introduced UN Volunteers;
- Lastly, advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or inspire engaged local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service when technically probable.
- Recognized Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the fields: Gender, Feminist Studies, Human Rights, Political Science, International Development, or other relevant disciplines.
- 12 months of experience is desirable.
Primarily, you should have the following skills:
- Fluency in English (both verbal and non-verbal); exceptional writing skills (Level – Fluent)
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills and positive working attitude
- Robust ability to multi-task and a handle on-time delivery
- Related formal or informal experience in gender and youth policies and programmes would be an addition
- Prior formal or informal working experience for/with feminist organizations, women’s rights or human rights organizations is a good plus
- Finally, Fluency in another Official UN language, in addition to English, would be considered an advantage
Areas of expertise
- Gender equality and the advancement of women
Driving license: No
- Planning and Organizing
- Respect for Diversity
- Working in Teams
How to apply?
If you are not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool, first register your profile here.
Important point: After you create your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then, go to ‘My Page’ and click on the ‘Special Calls’ link. Finally, select the special call to which you want to apply.
In case of being already registered in the UNV Talent Pool, first, update your profile here. Then, proceed accordingly.
For more information, please visit the UNV website.