Opportunity ID 13043
Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Opportunity Type : Self Funded
United Nations Young Leaders Training Programme by UNITAR
Overview of UN Young Leaders training program:
Nowadays, there are an estimated 1.8 billion people between the ages of 10 to 24, which is the largest youth population in the history of the world. This number was expected to rise between 2015 – 2030, and about 1.9 billion are said to turn 15 years old in the span of the next ten years.
Therefore, the youth interconnectivity is, today, prevalent like never before, youths increasingly contribute to creative solutions, igniting social development, and inspiring political initiatives and debates. They are embracing to advance the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to make the lives of people on the planet prosper.
So, the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) is pleased to hold a five –day training program in Geneva, which is specially designed for the global youth. The participants will find the chance to gain brand-new experience of the UN and will also earn the required knowledge and skill to unfold their untouched potential ad global leaders.
Deadline: 22 March 2020
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Host Institution: UNITAR
Duration: 5 days
Editions of the program: Spring edition 6-10 April 2020 (basic package open now)
Summer edition: 27 – 31 July 2020
What would the Training program be composed of?
Aimed at providing a firm knowledge foundation for youth to engage in UN and international affairs, the program covers the following thematic areas:
- a) Peace and security
- b) Human rights and humanitarian affairs
- c) Trade & technology
- d) Global health and well-being
- e) Environment and sustainable development
Most of the program will be hosted in the headquarters of the UN Office in Geneva. A unique agenda consisting of a slight balance between the following factors would be offered:
- Expert lectures
- Training workshops
- Multi-cultural conferences/events
- Private guided visits
- Group projects
Through this 5-day program, the participants will have the opportunity to visit UN agencies based in Geneva:
- United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG)
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
Benefit packages of the program:
1- Premium package 2. Basic package
Participants also have the chance to choose the premium package, which includes a 4-week preparatory e-learning course on the UNITAR online platform. The application for it has now closed.
But the application for Basic Package is open with the following details:
What it covers:
- A welcoming dinner to the participants
- Welcome package including related materials, entry tickets to sights and museums
- Transportation costs during the activity(s)
What it doesn’t cover:
- Accommodation costs
- Travel costs to and from Geneva and visa to Switzerland (UNITAR supports visa issuance process through official letters)
Who can participate?
The program is open to all actors relevant to international affairs hoping to undertake leadership roles in their respective communities. Participants can include:
- University and high school students, ambitious leaders of similar background
- Junior professionals from the public and private sector, and
- High-level young officials
- For participants under the age of 18, a written confirmation from their parents is necessary, allowing their children to attend the program.
Note: In order to ensure the highest quality standards, the registration will be closed after it reaches 30 individuals. Places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. At the end of the program, participants will be given a UNITAR certificate.
To register, please visit one of the links below. You will be required to make your own profile on the UNITAR website and will then be taken through the process. In case of any questions, feel free to contact the organizer.
Summer Edition 27 – 31 July 2020: