Opportunity ID 9754
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Various Fields
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 1 to 4 Years
Language of Instruction English
Applications are now open for Government of Ireland Postgraduate scholarships for 2024. The Government of Ireland offers Postgraduate Scholarships to outstanding students to conduct research projects in their chosen area of interest. It is a unique national initiative in the Irish research landscape that opens other channels for funded postgraduate education in the Irish ecosystem. The Irish Research Council manages the scholarship program.
Proposals that address new and emerging fields of research or those introducing creative, innovative approaches and proposals that advance understanding achieved by integrating techniques, information, tools, and perspectives from two or more disciplines are welcomed. Interdisciplinary proposals are also encouraged.
This Program is highly competitive; the average success rate of candidates has been 18% over the past five years. Successful candidates under the Program are recognized as demonstrating world-class potential as future research leaders.
This Postgraduate Scholarship Program is distinct from other funding options for postgraduate study in Ireland and works with them. Its features include:
- Individual, renowned honors in the applicant’s name for outstanding research
- A selection procedure that is impartial and uses international, unbiased expert peer review
- Funding for all academic fields, from zoology to archaeology;
- Awards for non-directed, bottom-up research, excluding those supported by our strategic funding partners.
Quick Details of Ireland Scholarship
Application Start: 31 August 2023
Application Deadline: 12 October 2023 (16:00 Irish Time)
Supervisor and Mentor Deadline: 19 October 2023 (16:00 Irish Time)
Research Office Endorsement Deadline: 26 October 2023 (16:00 Irish Time)
Result Outcome: April 2024
Award Start Date: 01 September 2024
Study Location: Ireland
Levels of Study: Masters and Ph.D.
Type of Program: Research
Duration of Scholarship:
- Research master’s degree: 1 year
- Structured research master’s degree: 2 years
- Traditional doctoral degree: 3 years
- Structured doctoral degree: 4 years
Benefits of Scholarship
The selected candidates will benefit from a maximum of €28,000 annually in any approved year. This amount will consist of the following elements:
- A stipend of €19,000;
- Fees contribution, paid to the host institution, up to a maximum of €5,750, which includes non-European Union fees.
- A direct research allowance of €3,250 enables the researcher to conduct the research project.
Check More Scholarships:
Partner Funding Organizations
Some government bodies and agencies partner with the Irish Research Council to support this Scholarship Program to deliver on shared national objectives. The strategic funding partners of the Irish Research Council for 2024 are as follows:
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration, and Youth
- Department of Foreign Affairs
- Met Éireann
All candidates should complete and pass some eligibility questions on the online application system before accessing an application form. Please review further information outlining what would deem an application ineligible in the call for application:
- Applicants’ age is not a matter to be eligible for this scholarship program.
- All candidates should be affiliated with an eligible Irish research-performing organization or higher education institution.
- Applications are only acceptable in either the Irish or English language.
- To be eligible for the 2024 scholarship, candidates must not have had two previous unsuccessful applications to this Program, including to strategic partner themes.
- The Irish Research Council does not provide funding for research under any of the following prohibited areas:
- Human cloning for reproductive purposes;
- Genetic modification of human beings causes such changes, but for research relating to cancer treatment of the gonads.
- Creation of human embryos solely for stem cell procurement or research, including somatic cell nuclear transfer
- Applicants from both European Union and Non-EU member states are welcome to apply.
- Have a first-class or upper second-class honors bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Must not have had two previous unsuccessful applications to this Program, including to its strategic partner’s theme; and
- If you apply for a research master’s or doctoral degree, you must not currently hold, or have previously held, a Council scholarship.
- Innovative proposals for degrees addressing new and emerging research fields or those introducing creative approaches are welcomed.
- Interdisciplinary proposals are also recommended, as the programs greatly value integrating several aspects of education/research.
Note: The majority of scholarships will be awarded to nationals of European Union member states and a proportion of scholarship will be awarded to those not resident or citizens of European Union members.
The Government of Ireland, Postgraduate Scholarship Program, is strongly competitive, and an objective selection process using international, independent expert peer review chooses the successful applicants.
Eligible applicants can read the terms and conditions of the scholarship carefully to ensure they meet all the eligibility criteria and then apply online.
Attachments to Download:
- Application Form
Application Guide for Applicants
- Application Guide for Supervisor
- Application Guide for Research Office
Please visit the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship (GOIPS) website and the official call of scholarships.
Check these opportunities: