Opportunity ID 27016
Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration Seven weeks
About this course:
Firstly, this course evaluates the relation of advertising to society, culture, history, and the economy. Duke University offers this course.
Furthermore, it covers a broad range of topics, including the origins of advertising, the creation of ads, the interpretation of ads, the depiction of race, class, gender, and sexuality in advertising, sex, and selling, advertising, and ethics, and the future of advertising. At the same time, the lectures will discuss theoretical frameworks and apply them to specific advertisements.
- Course developer: Duke University
- Provider: Coursera
- Topic: Business_ Advertising
- Language: English
- Learning mode: Self-paced
- Cost: Free
- Certificate: Paid certificate available (optional)
- Length: 7 weeks (3-4 hours/week)
- Start time: Available Now
William M. O’Barr: He is a Professor of Cultural Anthropology at Duke University, where he has taught since 1969. He also has secondary appointments in the Departments of Sociology and English. Additionally, he has been a visiting professor at Northwestern, Dalhousie, and Oxford.
By the completion of this course learners will be able to:
- Understand the sources, creation, and interpretation of advertising;
- Discuss different theories around advertisement and apply them to particular advertisements; and
- Examine the connection of advertising to history, culture, society, and economy.
This course runs for seven weeks as:
- 1st week: What is advertising and its origin?
- 2nd Week: Am I being manipulated by advertising?
- 3rd Week: What is in an ad beyond that which meets the eye?
- 4th Week: How ads are created?
- 5th Week: What do ads teach us about race, class, gender, and sexuality?
- 6th Week: Does sex sell?
- 7th Week: What is the future of advertising?
Skills you will acquire:
- History of Advertising
- Strategy in Advertising
- Techniques of Advertising
You will enjoy the followings:
- Receiving a certificate upon completion
- 100% online _ you can start instantly and learn at your own schedule
- Flexible deadline
- Background: everyone can take the course
How to apply?
Interested learners can apply very easily for this course now just by enrolling through the link provided.
To learn more about Duke University Free Online Course on “Advertising and Society”, please refer to Coursera’s website.
More Opportunities you may be eligible for:
- Risk and Return Free online course by Columbia University
- MA in Policy Economics program at the Williams College for Developing Countries
- UCI Free Online Course on Effective Problem-Solving & Decision-Making
- Global Landscape Forum Climate Photo Competition 2022
- International Leadership Program of Hansen Leadership Institute for US and NON US citizens