Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Various Fields
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 4 Years
Language of Instruction EnglishGerman
Opportunity ID 101025
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the University of Central Asia (UCA) are pleased to announce upcoming Scholarship for doctoral study in Germany.
Students interested in computer science, communications and media studies, earth and environmental sciences, applied economics (such as labor, health, environmental, public, urban/regional development, experimental), political economy, sustainable development, urban studies, and geography are eligible for the scholarships. These fields are a reflection of the study areas and majors that are taught at the Graduate School of Development, School of Professional and Continuing Education, and School of Arts & Sciences. Preference will be given, where necessary, to research topics including theoretical or applied work that is particularly relevant to the Central Asian region.
- Organized by: University of Central Asia (UCA) & German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Deadline: November 30, 2022
- Level of study: PhD
- Location: Germany
Candidates from the three founding nations of UCA Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan may apply. While the application and selection procedures for these scholarship programs may vary depending on the field of study and the institution of choice, all applicants must be eligible for the UCA and have their acceptance to a German university confirmed.
There will be two steps in the application process. Applicants may want to send their paperwork to UCA in order to formally express their interest. The DAAD portal, which is described in detail on the DAAD website, will subsequently be used by selected candidates to apply and upload their complete PhD application and supporting documentation. Additionally necessary for the DAAD proposal is acceptance into a recognized German university for PhD study beginning in 2023. The DAAD will accept applications through November 30, 2022.
These grants are a component of UCA’s ongoing Central Asian Faculty Development Program (CAFDP), which aims to increase the representation of academics from the area among the university’s faculty. After completing their studies in Germany, scholarship winners must work for the University of Central Asia for four years.
The goal of this collaboration between UCA and DAAD is to improve the academic standing of UCA’s future faculty members.
Fields of study:
- Computer Science
- Communications and Media Studies
- Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Fields of Applied Economics
- Political Economy
- Sustainable Development
- Urban Studies
- Max. four years
- Grants can only be given out for a maximum of one year at first. Extensions are subject to the selection committee’s determination that the prior award period was effectively completed.
Applicants should meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be citizens of Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, or the Kyrgyz Republic.
- Qualified researchers with a Master’s degree or equivalent by the time they start their grant-supported research.
- Interest in a doctoral program in areas that reflecting the criteria outlined by UCA academics
- An interest in a career in academia, including teaching and research
- Demonstrating proficiency in the discipline of choice
- Personal Statement (max. 2 pages)
- Research Proposal (max. 3 pages)
- Academic diploma and transcripts
- Proof of admission at a German University for a PhD Program (Including the name of the supervisor) Before November 30, 2022.
How to apply?
Participate in the online information session hosted by UCA-DAAD on “How to Apply for UCA-DAAD Scholarship”:
- Осtober 14, 02:00 PM Astana-Bishkek time | 03:00 PM Dushanbe time
- Осtober 21, 02:00 PM Astana-Bishkek time | 03:00 PM Dushanbe time
- November 4, 02:00 PM Astana-Bishkek time | 03:00 PM Dushanbe time
- November 18, 02:00 PM Astana-Bishkek time | 03:00 PM Dushanbe time
For more information, email [email protected].
For more information about UCA & DAAD Scholarships in Germany, please visit the University of Central Asia’s website.
You may also be eligible for these opportunities:
- The Eiffel Excellence Scholarship Program for Master’s and PhD studies in France
- United World College Scholarship for International Baccalaureate (IB)
- iF Social Impact Prize 2022
- 500 Scholarships for Afghanistan students at Asian University for Women
- World Bank Winter Internship Program 2022/23 (Paid)
- D-Prize Challenges for Entrepreneurs ($20,000)