Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Computer Science And Engineering
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 2 Years
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 49536
The Meta Research PhD Fellowship is an international initiative created to promote and encourage bright doctoral candidates conducting cutting-edge, pertinent research in fields of computer science and engineering at recognized academic institutions. Students in any year of their PhD studies are eligible for the program. They also invite applicants from a variety of backgrounds and experiences, particularly those who belong to historically underrepresented minority groups.
- Application period: August 3 – September 20, 2022 (12:00 PM PST)
- Deadline for Recommendation Letters: October 6, 2022
- Awarding Organization: Meta Facebook
- Location: USA
- Duration: 2 years
- Winner’s announcement: Mid January 2023
- Fields: Computer Science and Engineering-related
- Eligible level: PhD
- AI System HW SW Co-Design
- Computational Social Science
- Applied Statistics
- Database Systems
- AR/VR Computer Graphics
- Distributed Systems
- AR/VR Future Technologies
- Economics and Computation
- AR/VR Human-Computer Interaction
- Human Computer Interaction – Social Media, People, & Society
- AR/VR Human Understanding
- AR/VR Photonics and Optics
- Privacy and Data Practices
- AR/VR Wireless
- Programming Languages
- Audio Presence
- Security and Privacy
- Augmented Reality Audio
- Technology Policy Research
Meta Research PhD Fellowship Includes:
- Paid Tuition and fees for the academic year (up to two years)
- A $42,000 yearly stipend to cover living expenses, several opportunities to interact with Meta researchers, and an invitation to the annual Fellowship Summit.
- Direct payment of tuition will be made to the institution. Unless otherwise stated, the $42,000 total stipend will be paid to the Fellow by direct deposit. Stipends must be given to Fellows directly. Once a tuition invoice for the relevant autumn term is received each year, stipend payment(s) are sent.
- The award money is given out during the awarded year’s fall term and ends at the end of the spring term. A Fellow will receive their full semester tuition and half of their stipend if they graduate in the middle of the academic year (in alignment with the semester).
Funds Usage & Restrictions:
- The $42,000 stipend cannot be transferred as a gift to the university’s lab. Stipends must be given to Fellows directly.
It is not possible to pay the university with a combined tuition and stipend/travel payment.
- Although fellows are not given equipment directly by Meta, they are free to utilize their stipend to purchase any tools they feel are required for carrying out their research.
- Since they are not Meta employees, Fellows cannot enroll in any of Meta’s savings account schemes (such as the 401k, Health Savings Account, etc.).
Current Fellows are invited to the yearly Fellowship Summit at Meta’s headquarters in Menlo Park as part of the program. Fellows can network with other award winners, present their most recent research, interact with Meta researchers and teams, and gain more knowledge about research at Meta at the Summit.
- Open to current Ph.D. students from any nationality worldwide.
- Applicants must enroll as full-time Ph.D. students in an esteemed university (in any country) by the beginning of the Fellowship (i.e., Fall 2023)
- Students must be engaged in ongoing research related to one or more relevant disciplines (go over the available fellowships below)
- Graduating before the fall semester after each round of applications
- Considering doing some part-time employment for a rival business while taking part in the Fellowship
- A temporary employee at Meta. The CW wage and the stipend cannot be paid at the same time.
- An AI Meta Resident
- A part-time internship with a rival is something you intend to accomplish during the academic year (fall/spring). You can complete an internship at a different company either in the summer leading up to Fellowship or in the summer that follows Fellowship. Extensions of internships into the fall are included.
- Candidates whose research falls outside the defined research fields listed in the Available Fellowships section will not be eligible for prizes. To make sure you are connected with the appropriate study area, please carefully read the descriptions of each Available Fellowship.
- At this time, they are unable to offer financing to undergraduates, graduates in various fields, or alternative support like minor awards.
- CV or Resume
- A 500-word research statement that clearly lays out the area of focus, significance to the field, and applicability to Facebook of the anticipated research during the award
- Two letters of recommendation, including one from an academic advisor. The organizer will ask you to provide your references’ contact information, and they will receive a corresponding form to submit their letters accordingly.
How to apply?
By registering for a SurveyMonkey Apply account, candidates can get ready to apply. Applicants will be requested for references’ contact information during the application process. References will be sent an email once the application is filed asking them to attach their letters in SurveyMonkey Apply before October 6, 2022.
Applications are assessed based on the quality of the applicant’s research statement, record of publications, and letters of recommendation
For more details about the Meta Research PhD Fellowship (including available fellowships), visit the Facebook’s website.
See more opportunities:
- Free Online Course on ‘Preparing for A Career in Teaching’ by Manchester Metropolitan University
- Free Online Course on ‘People Management Skills in Organizations’ by CIPD
- Free Online Course on “How to Read a Novel?” by the University of Edinburgh
- Hodder Fellowship at Princeton University, USA (Fully-Funded)
- American Association of University Women (AAUW) International Fellowships 2023-24