Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Opportunity Type : Partially FundedSelf Funded
Duration 4 Weeks
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 55551
The Open University has prepared a free online course on “Importance of Religion: Religious Literacy, Culture and Diversity”. Religion not only impacts personal behaviors and ethics, but it also bears relevance to international conflicts, challenges and domestic policy decisions. So, through this course, you will gain a wider understanding of why religion matters in society and in different cultures.
Moreover, you will explore the concepts of religious literacy and religious diversity, both in the context of different societies and religious traditions themselves. You will also apply case studies to explore Christianity, Islam, Buddhism and indigenous religious traditions in both historical and modern contexts.
- Course developer: The Open University
- Language of delivery: English
- Learning platform: Future Learn
- Course type: Online and self-paced
- Subject: Politics and Society
- Price: Free with limited access, monthly subscription: $27.99 or buy this course: $54 one-off payment for full access.
- Duration: 4 weeks (3 hours per week)
- Start date: Available now
- Free access to this course will expire on: September 9, 2022
See the list of course instructors from the Open University here.
By taking this course, you‘ll be able to:
- Identify and explain the principles of ‘religious literacy’
- Look over the frontiers between religion and culture
- Evaluate the extent to which religion stimulates ways of life including ethics, social activism and extremism
- Apply the principles of ‘religious literacy’ to case studies
- Build tolerance and confidence in interacting with those who have different beliefs and practices
Who can enroll?
This course matches with interests of anyone who may interact with a religiously diverse public in their personal or professional lives. This includes police, civil servants, teachers, journalists, council workers and parents.
What topics will it cover?
- 1st week: Why religion matters – Religious literacy is important.
· Why does religion matter?
· What is religious literacy?
· Why religious literacy matters
· Internal diversity in religion
- 2nd week: Change and choice in religion.
· Dynamic and changing religions
· Religious resources for change
· Religious identity and choice
- 3rd week: Religion/culture and religious violence.
· Religion/culture – All aspects of being human
· Religion and violence
- 4th week: Engaging with confidence.
· When different worlds collide
· Principles of interaction
· What would you do?
- 100% online
- Full access to this course for 4 weeks
How to apply?
You can apply and pursue this course by completing a registration in the given link.
To learn more about Free Online Course on “Why Religion Matters: Religious Literacy, Culture and Diversity”, please refer to FutureLearn’s website.
You may also be interested in these opportunities:
- Asia Foundation Development Fellowship Program 2023
- The Humphrey Fellowship Program – Exchange Program in United States
- 2023 Amelia Earhart Fellowship for PhD Students in Aerospace Engineering and Space Sciences
- “Apple Entrepreneur Camp” 2022 for Female Founders and Developers Worldwide
- Sunhak Peace Prize Foundation 2022 Peace Motion Graphics Competition (10,500$ in Prizes)