Opportunity ID 8825
Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 6
Fields of study Various fields
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 2 Years
Language of Instruction English
The Harvard University accepts applications for the 2023 The Academy Scholars Program at the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies. The Program seeks out outstanding young scholars whose work combines superior social science expertise with fluency in a foreign language or other knowledge or expertise of other countries or regions outside of the United States or Canada. Their research should transcend conventional disciplinary boundaries to shed light on comparative, global, or domestic issues from the past or present.
The Academy Scholars are selected individuals with initiative, resourcefulness, and originality whose work shows promise as a base for careers in research universities or international institutions.
Academy Scholars will have a two-year in-residence postdoctoral fellowship program at The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies at Harvard University in Cambridge, MA, USA.
The scholars will receive substantial financial and research assistance to help them undertake research projects and skills development in their selected fields and areas. Furthermore, they will meet at dinners, seminars, and informal gatherings to pursue innovative interdisciplinary approaches to their work.
The Harvard Academy Senior Scholars, and a cohort of faculty members as a part of the selection committee, will mentor the Academy Scholars to participate in Harvard Academy events. The mentors will support the Scholars as they work to achieve their potential.
The program’s objective is to give applicants a chance to network with influential leaders, learn more about their potential career paths and what it takes to succeed in their field, and forge connections with other students with similar interests.
Application Deadline: 23 September 2023
Start Date: 1 August 2023
Degree Conferral Documentation Submission: 30 June 2023
Course level: Ph.D. and Postdoctoral
Eligible Countries: All international Students
Announcement of the Awards: December 2023
Study Duration: 2 years
Study Location: Cambridge, MA, USA
Host University: The Harvard University
Number of Opportunity: 5-6
Field of Study: Social Sciences
Benefits of the Academy Scholars Program
The following advantages are payable by the Academy Scholars Program for 2023:
- Annual stipend of $75,000 for two years
- Payment for travel and hotel accommodations for the finalists to interview in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
- Opportunity to meet at dinners, seminars, and informal gatherings to pursue innovative interdisciplinary approaches to their work
- Mentoring opportunity by the Harvard Academy Senior Scholars, a cohort of faculty members
Check More Opportunities:
Eligibility Requirements for the Academy Scholars Program
All candidates should fulfill these criteria to apply for the 2023 Academy Scholars Program:
- Scholarships are open to Ph.D. holders or those nearing completion of a Ph.D. or comparable doctoral degrees and advanced doctoral candidates in the social sciences.
- Scholars from all countries and citizenships
- The Academy Scholars Program does not grant a degree program. Applicants who have not recently completed or have not enrolled in a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral program in the social sciences are not eligible to apply.
- For candidates who have completed a Ph.D. program, the completion date should be within two years of the 01 August 2023 start date.
- Applicants applying for the 22 September 2023 deadline must have completed their Ph.D. after 31 July 2022.
- D. candidates nearing dissertation completion should submit degree conferral documentation from their university registrar’s office by 30 June 2023.
- No postponements or deferrals of the 01 August 2023 start date will be possible.
- Applicants who benefit or have completed another Harvard postdoctoral fellowship are not eligible to apply.
- Finalists should be available for a personal interview on 6 December 2023.
Eligible Fields of Study
The Academy Scholars can pursue their study in the following fields of study through the Academy Scholars Program 2023:
- Africa Studies
- Asia Studies
- Central Asia Studies
- East Asian Languages and Civilizations
- Eastern Europe Studies
- Ethnic Studies
- History of Science—outside of the US or Canada
- Inner Asian and Altaic Studies
- International Relations
- Latin American and Iberian Studies
- Middle East Studies
- Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations
- Political Economy and Government
- Political Science
- Public Policy
- Russia Studies
- Slavic Languages and Civilization
- Social Policy
- Social Studies
- South Asia Studies
- Southeast Asia Studies
- Ukraine Studies
- Western Europe Studies
- Women, Gender, & Sexuality—outside of the US or Canada
Ineligible Study Areas
This program does not accept the following areas of specialization:
- Anything related to the US or Canada
- Art History
- Global Health
- Medieval Studies
- Public Administration
- Sanskrit and Indian Studies
- Social Work
- Urban Studies
The following documents are necessary to complete the application package:
- Resume or CV (including publications list)
- The research proposal (maximum 2000 words) should include intellectual goals, planned methodological, and disciplinary work.
- Just ONE sample of academic writing of a maximum of 50 pages in English may be submitted (for example, a chapter from a doctoral dissertation or an article from a peer-reviewed journal).
- Copy of the Ph.D. transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation are uploaded to the online application directly and confidentially by the recommender.
- The application and any supplemental materials must be in PDF format.
- A full application package should not exceed 10MB in size
- Incomplete application materials are at a disadvantage when considered by the Selection Committee.
How to Apply?
Candidates should submit their applications online for the Harvard Academy Scholars Program via the Apply Now link below and before the application deadline.
Check More Opportunities: