Opportunity ID 60365
Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Fields of study Envoirnment
Opportunity Type : Partially Funded
Duration 1 Year
Language of Instruction English
The Whitley Awards 2024 are now accepting applications from the Grassroots Conservation Leaders in the Global South. The Whitley Awards support local conservationists in the Global South and draw attention to their work on a global scale.
The Whitley Awards are flagship prizes, which are awarded in a ceremony in London by or Patron, HRH The Princess Royal. The Ceremony will occur in the spring of 2024, with winners being announced live and webcast online.
The Whitley Awards is the Whitely Fund for Nature (WFN) initiative, which recognizes dynamic conservationists in their mid-career spearheading animal conservation programs in the Global South. Winners are nationals of the country where they work who want to scale up established work anchored in the local community and would benefit from more money, an increase in prominence, and international support. Projects must include communities at the grassroots level and provide science-based practical action.
Organized by: Whitely Fund for Nature (WFN)
Application Deadline: 31 October 2023 (midnight GMT)
Starting Date: Spring 2024
Project Duration: One Year
Ceremony Location: London, UK
Eligible Countries: Low-Income Economy Countries, Including Afghanistan
Whitley Awards Amounts
Whitley Awards provides project financing of £40,000 over a year.
Applicants and projects that meet the following criteria are eligible for the 2024 Whitely Awards:
- Applicants should be from the Not High-Income Economy countries
- Nationals with local support countries are also eligible for this Award- The Whitley Awards assist nationals of the country where they work (i.e., you were born there or have lived there for a long time and attained national status).
- WFN is looking for grassroots conservationists who are integrated or come from the communities in which they operate.
- Applicants should be good communicators and passionate about their work will inspire others and, more significantly, collaborate and share outcomes.
- Applicants must be fluent in English.
- Demonstrate leadership and teamwork skills.
- Projects based on scientific evidence and understanding are welcome, such as in the leader, team expertise, or through partners or collaboration.
- Work that involves or benefits the local community and stakeholders is critical.
- Projects at the ecosystem or landscape level are preferred.
- Applicants should demonstrate past success and an evidence-based approach to their proposed projects.
- The grassroots, pragmatic effort that is both realistic and ambitious is eligible.
- The projects must have actions with clear, measurable effects
- Projects must have long-term viability and continue to work after the Whitley Award.
- Projects must demonstrate value for money and the ability to manage financing amount (£40,000).
- Projects for which the Award will make a significant difference are in priority.
- Work that requires exposure, thriving media publicity, and increased visibility are eligible for the Award.
Ineligible Applicants and Projects
Projects and applicants that fall in one of the following categories are not eligible for the Whitley Awards 2024:
- Projects based in High-Income Economies, according to World Bank
- Expatriates undertake wonderful work worldwide but are not the focus of our Awards program, which seeks to recognize local leaders.
- Pure academic research
- MSc or PhD fieldwork
- Expeditions and conference attendance
- Start-up or pilot projects
- Absentee leaders
- One-person bands
- Joint applications or nominations for someone else
- Pure rural, economic, or sustainable development where direct conservation benefits are difficult to quantify
- Projects focused on building construction or purchase of land
- Captive animal welfare and rehabilitation centres
- Government employees
How to Apply for the Whitely Awards?
- To apply for the Whitely Awards, please register for the application portal first. After receiving your unique login information, you can complete and submit your application online. Please contact the organizer if you have any questions concerning the application portal.
- You can access and complete the form online at your leisure once you have registered in the application portal. Keep in mind to save as you go! You will lose your data if you close the application portal without saving your progress.
Opportunities you may like: