Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Different
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 3 9 Months
Language of Instruction English
Applications are now open for the Urban Studies Foundation (USF) International Fellowship program for urban researchers from the Global South region. The Fellowship is awarded to urban scholars at a candidate’s preferred university in the Global North or South with the aim of writing-up the applicant’s existing research findings to be published as articles and/or a book under the supervision of a chosen mentor in their related discipline. This opportunity is open to different countries including Afghanistan.
Application deadline: 30 April 2021 (11:59 GMT)
Host institution: Urban Studies Foundation (USF)
Country: United Kingdom
Duration: 3-9 months
Possible start date: Summer 2021
Expected notification of outcome: 30 May 2021
- The proposed research may include any theme relating to a better understanding of urban realities in the Global South.
Covering the costs of a stay period for conducting research which ranges between 3-9 months, the fellowship provides:
- Subsistence costs
- Return travel cost (economy class)
- Research expense allowance
- Small budget for the mentor to assist fellow for better performing the research project (if appropriate)
Candidates who meet the following criteria can apply for the USF Fellowship.
- Must be citizens of countries in the Global South (click here to see the list of eligible countries)
- Be early-to-mid- Career urban scholars who have secured a Ph.D. degree within the last ten years (by the application deadline);
- Currently, work at a research institution or university within the Global South.
- Relevant disciplines are geography, political science, economics, sociology, demography, planning; though this list is not comprehensive.
Short-listed candidates must prepare appropriate arrangements to be mentored by a renowned urban scholar at the chosen university/institute. For this purpose, the applicant should read the details HERE before applying to the scheme to be fully aware of the fellowship.
Apply for other fellowships:
- OSCE Academy Associate Research Fellowship for PhD Candidates and Post-PhD Researchers
- Fully-Funded Fellowship in Amsterdam, the Netherlands for Young Talented Individuals
- University of Science & Technology of China Fellowship for Non-degree and Research Internship Programs
- USTC “Fellowship for Master’s Programs” for International Students in China
- ILO Fellowships and Seed Grants for Junior Researchers (significant grants and seed funding)
- Bonn SDG Fellowships for Post-doctoral Scientists and Researchers in Germany
How to apply?
Eligible applicants can apply online by filling the application form linked below and submitting it.
Your application must include:
- Applicant’s personal and academic information plus contact details of two academic referees.
- Fellowship proposal information including dates, mentorship and host institution details.
- A draft budget in GBP with main cost items.
- A proposal (in English language) including a summary of the intended research (1200 words max.), intended outputs (300 words max.), designation of the host institution (300 words max.), and an explanation of how the applicant’s chosen mentor will support and facilitate the proposed research (300 words maximum).
- Proof of the applicant’s nationality and eligibility for the award.
- Applicant CV explaining academic achievements and publications (3 pages at most).
- A brief CV from the mentor stating any previous mentoring experience (3 pages max.).
- Supporting letter from the prospective mentor indicating their willingness to be a mentor of the fellow, and demonstrating the appropriateness of the host institution for the planned sabbatical study period (no more than 2 pages).
For more information about the fellowship particulars and guidelines, it is advisable for both applicants and mentors to visit the official link.
Should you have questions concerning the online application process or want to discuss your application informally, please contact USF Director of Operations Joe Shaw: [email protected].