Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study World Heritage
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 3 To 12 September 2023
Language of Instruction English
Applications are now open for the UNESCO World Heritage Young Professionals Forum 2023. The program aims to highpoint the importance of heritage for societies and livelihoods and to foster intercultural exchange and learning by gathering young people, educators, and heritage experts. Participants are from different countries to realize and discover new roles for heritage conservation. They help the young professionals advance local insights on heritage management through site visits to World Heritages and from the host country’s experience.
The Ministry of Culture of Saudi Arabia will host the World Heritage Young Professionals Forum 2023 in Riyadh and the Al-Ahsa Oasis from 3 to 12 September 2023. This program is part of the 45th session of the World Heritage Committee in the UNESCO World Heritage Education Program framework. The theme of the Forum is “Looking Ahead: The Next 50 Years of Protecting Cultural and Natural Heritage”. This program will occur with the management of Saudi Arabia organizations, including the Saudi Heritage Commission and the National Committee for Education, Culture, and Science. This opportunity helps participants to understand and assess the followings:
- The past five decades’ achievements of the World Heritage Convention
- Highlight the critical role of youth in the heritage ecosystem.
- Pave the way for the following heritage professional’s generation and pitch their unique approaches to heritage management.
The Forum will prepare the young professionals to create a sustainable future for cultural and natural heritage and yoke the potential of capacity building. Finally, the participants will present the outcomes of the Forum in the form of a Youth Declaration to the extended 45th session of the World Heritage Committee.
Application Deadline: 04 June 2023 (23:59 CET)
Program Duration: 3 to 12 September 2023
Arrival Day: 2 September 2023
Opening of the Forum and Introductions: 3 September 2023
Thematic Discussions and Site Visit: 4 – 8 September 2023
Youth Model and Committee Meeting Simulation: 9 September 2023
Drafting of the Youth Declaration: 10 September 2023
Presentation of the Forum Outcomes: 11 September 2023
Closing of the Forum: 12 September 2023
Location: Riyadh and the Al-Ahsa Oasis
Organized by: UNESCO.
Eligible Countries: All
Application Language: English, French, and Arabic
Benefits of the UNESCO World Heritage Young Professionals Forum
Participants will benefit from the Forum as follows:
- The host country will cover all related expenses, including accommodation, economy-class flights, local transportation, and meals for the duration of the Forum.
- The organizers will help the participants with travel preparations and provide visa support.
- Furthermore, the participants will gain in-depth knowledge of the processes and working practices of the world heritage convention.
- The program is concerning the protection of the World’s Cultural and Natural heritage.
Note: Participants wishing to extend their stay after 13 September 2023 are responsible for all related costs. In such a case, the applicant should inform the host country to make all the necessary arrangements.
Eligibility Criteria and Forum Requirements
Candidates who apply for the UNESCO World Heritage Young Professionals Forum should meet the following criteria:
- Applicants should be between 23 and 32 years.
- Demonstrate experience in one of these fields: World Heritage, conservation, architecture, archaeology, restoration, art history, urban planning and regeneration, climate change, tourism, and digital technology.
- Be interested and committed to implementing the Forum outcomes in their respective countries.
- Applicants should be committed to enhancing community engagement in the management of World Heritage properties.
- Be available for the duration of the Forum.
- Have proficiency in English.
In addition to the general eligibility, the selection committee will consider the following elements in selecting the participants:
- Balanced geographical representation.
- Gender equality.
- Diversity of professional backgrounds.
- Capability to distribute experiences in the origin country or institution.
- Experience and knowledge in the management practices for World Heritage sites.
Application Procedure for the UNESCO World Heritage Young Professionals Forum?
All qualified candidates wishing to apply to the World Heritage Young Professionals Forum should fill in and submit the online application form by clicking “Apply Now” below.
Please visit the official website of UNESCO for detailed information about the 2023 Forum or contact [email protected] for any application inquiry.
Check More Opportunities:
UNESCO International Fund for Cultural Diversity (IFCD)-Call for Applications for 100,000 USD Fund
2023 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Awards for Cultural Heritage Conservation
UNESCO Silk Road Youth Research Grants 2023 ($10,000 Grant)
L’Oreal UNESCO Women in Science International Prizes 2023 (5 Award of €100000)