Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement TOEFLIELTSPTE AcademicTOEICCambridge qualificationDuolingo
No. of Opportunity 20
Fields of study Medicine
Opportunity Type : Partially FundedSelf Funded
Duration 1 5 Years
Language of Instruction English
Applications are currently open for The Master of Science in Global Urban Health (MSc GUH) for A.Y. 2021-22 at the University of Freiburg, Germany. It is an interdisciplinary, modular course for outstanding and motivated graduates in the fields of social sciences, medicine, public health, anthropology, or similar background with professional experience in health sciences, environmental health, urban planning/migration, or social work.
The course aims to convey knowledge, skills, and competencies regarding the identification and management of risk factors for health in big cities, especially, but not only, in low- and middle-income countries. So, apply for this should this interest you.
Regular applications: 15 April 2021
DAAD EPOS Scholarship applications: 1 March 2021
Host institution: Center for Medicine and Society (AMG), University of Freiburg
Duration: 1/ up to five years
Intake: Winter 2021-22
Mode of study: Full-time/part-time
Number of students: 20
Course tuition fees: €12,000 (in case you are self-financed, provide a bank statement showing that you have adequate funds to finance your course studies (min. €5000).
The program builds on national and international Global Health and Urban Health concepts and is in line with international strategies such as the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals). Furthermore, the modules apply participatory learning techniques and practical exercises, field trips as well as study tours to the World Health Organization (WHO) and the UN Environmental Program (UNEP) in Geneva, the Swiss Tropical Institute (STI) in Basel, and many more environmental initiatives in and around the green city of Freiburg.
Benefits & Program objectives
This MSc will teach you to:
- Develop analytical and management skills to address the challenges of urban health;
- Explore and quantify biological-psychological-social threats to health and risk factors in urban areas
- To build knowledge and skills in the field of prevention, control, program development, monitoring and evaluation for improving urban health;
- Design and carry out research projects in the field of urban health;
- Make proactive evidence-based decisions and earn leadership capabilities and effective working skills according to the professional background
- Foster independent and reflective thinking and ignite an interest IN lifelong learning.
Who can apply?
- The MSc GUH pursues an interdisciplinary approach and professionals from different backgrounds such as medicine, public health, social sciences, health economics, urban planning, psychology, political science, and anthropology among others can apply.
- The course is open to participants worldwide. Applications who have working experience in relevant fields from developing countries are specifically encouraged.
Every interested person with the following requirements can apply:
- Have a degree in one of the above fields.
- A higher academic degree (minimum 4 years of academic full-time studies)
- Working experience in a related field
- Proficiency in the English language
How to apply?
To apply for the program, please send the complete Application documents as pdf. Files to the following e-mail address:
Submission email: [email protected]
Applicants will receive notification of admission/rejection in May 2021.
How to apply for the DAAD EPOS Scholarship?
A limited number of scholarships will be offered to qualified applicants by the DAAD EPOS.
Qualifying Students who wish to apply for the EPOS scholarship must send in all documents required by the program as well as the scholarship before 01. March 2021.
For an overview of the EPOS eligibility requirement and application procedures, please refer to this link.
- A dully completed application form
- A passport photo (only the information+ image page)
- Typed Curriculum Vitae. Use “Europass Formate“
- Letter of Motivation expressing your personal motivation and future plans for this course
- A scanned copy of all diplomas/certificates awarding relevant university degrees
- A scan of all official academic transcripts from the institution you attended
- A scanned copy of your High School Certificate
- Proof of proficiency test in English, if not a native speaker, e.g. TOEFL (550 paper / 213 computer / 72 – 94 online), IELTS (5+), DAAD (a, b or c in all categories), Cambridge (FCE, CAE, oder CPE), PTE Academic, telc University B2-C1, TOEIC oder OOPT.
If you have any questions about the application or program, please contact the project coordinator: [email protected]
For more information, please visit the University of Freiburg’s website.