Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
No. of Opportunity 7
Fields of study Law
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 9 Months
Language of Instruction EnglishFrench
Opportunity ID 208429
ITLOS-Nippon Foundation Capacity Building Training Program applications are open to international applicants on Dispute Settlement Under UNCLOS In Germany.
International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea-ITLOS offers this nine-month annual capacity building and training program in 2023-2024. International applicants can apply for this opportunity providing training on dispute settlement under the UNCLOS-United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
The Tribunal training is a full-time program, which begins in July each year and takes place in Hamburg, Germany. Depending upon the availability of funds, the organization calls for applications each year during February or March.
This Program’s target participants are junior to mid-level government officials and researchers primarily from developing countries. Applicants should currently work on issues related to maritime law, the law of the sea, or dispute settlement.
Participants will benefit from a unique opportunity to advance their legal skills by joining this training program. As well as they can deepen their applied knowledge of dispute settlement in sea law under UNCLOS. Also, the Nippon Foundation covers costs, including accommodation, medical insurance, travel, and a monthly allowance.
Important Dates and Details
Application Status: Open
Application Deadline: 31 March 2023
Program Duration: Start on 17 July 2023 and end on 29 March 2024
Host Organization: International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS)
Sponsored By: Nippon Foundation
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Degree Level: None
Funding Type: Fully Funded
Languages Required: English and French
Training Duration: Nine Months (9)
Eligible Country: Developing Countries
Target Group: Junior to mid-level government officials and researchers primarily from developing countries
Benefits of the ITLOS-Nippon Foundation Capacity Building Training Program
Nippon Foundation covers the following items and expenses for the participants of the ITLOS-Nippon Foundation Capacity Building Training Program:
- Medical insurance
- Travel costs
- Monthly allowance
- Fully equipped office with computer, internet connection, and printer throughout the Program
- Access to the Tribunal’s specialized Library, containing comprehensive information on the law of the sea and related subjects.
- The fellows will become part of the ITLOS community and integrate into the life of the Registry for nine months.
- Opportunity to interact with Judges, staff, and participants of the other training programs run at the Tribunal.
- As ITLOS alums, they will join a growing network of young professionals from worldwide working in the field.
The details of the ITLOS-Nippon Foundation Capacity Building Training Program are as follows:
- Lectures: Lectures on the law of the sea, environmental law, and dispute settlement by Judges of the Tribunal, Registry officials, universities, law firm professionals, and professionals from the UN and international organizations.
- Training: Participants will receive training on international procedural law and conflict resolution.
- Visits: The Tribunal also provides study visits to relevant institutions, including in The Hague, Brussels, London, Rome, and within Germany.
- Research Program: Participants will undertake research under the supervision of Registry officials and then present the result to the Judges of the Tribunal.
Applicants who wish to apply for ITLOS-Nippon Foundation Capacity Building Training Program should meet the following requirements:
- Be a junior to a mid-level government official or researcher,
- Hold the nationality of developing countries,
- Be between 25 and 40 years old,
- Currently working on subjects related to the law of the sea, dispute settlement, or maritime law,
- Applicants must hold a first university degree in law,
- Have the capacity to undertake independent scientific research, study, and training,
- Be thoroughly familiar with English or French and have a working knowledge of the other language.
Required Documents for the ITLOS-Nippon Foundation Capacity Building Training Program
Applicants should submit the following documents for an application:
- A duly completed and signed Fellowship Application Form
- A duly completed, typed, and signed Nomination Form directly submitted by the nominating agency.
- A complete reference to any significant publications
- Any additional supporting documentation such as CV, recommendation letter (s),
Admitted applicants should submit the following documents:
- A medical certificate issued by a duly qualified physician.
- A certificate from the nominating agency demonstrating that the applicant has permission to travel to Hamburg and participate in the Program from July 2023 to March 2024
- If applicants are government officials, the nominating agency should be a relevant governmental body.
- For researchers, the nominating agency can be the academic department of the university or the institute to which they are affiliated.
- Nominating agencies should submit two copies of the Nomination Form:
- One scanned version of the signed original.
- One electronic version.
- Final admission to the Program depends upon submitting the medical and permission certificates.
- Admitted applicants should submit a copy of the certificates within two weeks of announcing the admission.
- Candidates should submit the original certificates on the first day of the Program and must be in either English or French or have a certified translation.
How to Apply for the ITLOS-Nippon Foundation Capacity Building Training Program?
Canidates should apply online using the electronic application form linked below.
Nominators can submit the Nomination Form preferably by e-mail to [email protected] or by fax to: (+49 40 35607-245) or by post to:
Office of the Registrar
International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea- ITLOS
Am Internationalen Seegerichtshof 1
Check More Opportunities
IASBS Scholarships for Afghan Master’s Degree Students, Iran
Refugee Education UK DSI Scholarships for Afghan Displaced Students in Pakistan
DAAD Scholarship for SEPT MBA in Leipzig University of Germany
For more information about this Program, please visit the official website of the ITLOS or review the Flyer.