Opportunity ID 209186
Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Fields of study Sustainable Development
Opportunity Type : Partially Funded
Duration 24 Months
Language of Instruction English
Applications are now open for the Global Ecosystem-based Adaptation Fund 2023 for supporting innovative approaches to EbA. This Fund helps the recipients create enabling environments for scaling up and mainstreaming.
EbA Fund supports catalytic climate change adaptation creativities and helps to find solutions for barriers to upscaling EbA, pilot innovative EbA approaches, and address knowledge gaps. Moreover, this Fund engages in strategic EbA policy integration and encourages innovative finance mechanisms and the private sector to invest in EbA.
In 2023, the Global EbA Fund will introduce two funding tracks, including the thematic and general EbA project proposals tracks. Submissions and evaluations are now open for the General EbA project proposals track year-round, and the EbA Fund makes biannual funding decisions.
The implementing force behind EbA is the IUCN– International Union for Conservation of Nature and the UNEP – United Nations Environment Programme, with funding from the International Climate Initiative (IKI). IKI is one of the essential parts of the Federal Ministry of Germany for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety, and Consumer Protection (BMUV).
Mainly, three strategic objectives of the EbA Fund are as follows:
- Awareness building, expanding knowledge, enhancing institutional capacities of mainstreaming EbA
- Address planning and other governance gaps in policy and regularity environments
- Expand access to sustainable short and long-term finance mechanisms for implementing and scaling up the Ecosystem-based approaches
Moreover, its three main action pillars include:
- Levers for catalytic change
- Functional data and science
- Innovation for adaptation
Important Dates and Details
Provider: International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
Funding Body: International Climate Initiative (IKI)
Deadline for Application: 28 April 2023 (23:59 UCT)
Application Status: Open
Eligible Countries: All
Subject Area: Sustainable Development
Benefits of the Global Ecosystem-based Adaptation Fund
Global EbA Fund lasts up to 24 months and grants funding from USD 50,000 to USD 250,000.
Applicants and submissions should meet the following requirements to apply for this opportunity:
- Submitted projects should contribute to an enabling environment for the implementation of EbA to climate change.
- It should align with the Friends of EBA and EbA Qualification Criteria and Quality Standards.
- Projects should have a global, thematic, regional, or country-specific focus
- Country-specific focus projects must target one or more countries eligible for official development assistance(ODA) based on the OECD-DAC list at the time of application.
- Applicants can also submit regional or multi-country projects to foster regional exchange and achieve regional-scale impacts.
- For multi-country projects, all of the countries must be ODA-eligible.
- Applicants can also submit a global or thematic focus project, not target a specific region or country,
- The Fund seeks diverse applicants with local partnerships, presence, and relevant experience.
- According to the IKI policies, government partners will not receive the Fund directly.
- Currently, UNEP and IUCN offices cannot apply for this Fund.
- Submissions or project durations can be up to 24 months, with a complete timeline of up to 36 months. Applicants can submit additional justification for projects seeking longer than 24 months.
Applicants must prepare the following required materials to submit for the Global Ecosystem-based Adaptation Fund:
- Screening Criteria
- Project Proposal Template
- Full Proposal Budget Template
- CVs of the key member involved in the project
- Financial statements from the last two previous years
- Signed Applicant Declaration Form
- Co-applicant Mandate, if applicable
- Online Submissions Form
- Due Diligence Questionnaire
- ESMS Screening Questionnaire (Table 1)
- Registration Certificate of the applicant’s organization
- Registration Certificate for each partner organization that will receive funding, if applicable
How to Apply for the Fund?
The applicants must submit all the required documents and their applications via email.
Submission Email: submit.EbAFund@iucn.org
Fill out the Submission Form
Check More Opportunities: