Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 3
Language of Instruction English
Applications for the 2021 edition of the Global Development Awards Competition are now open. The awards are sponsored under the Policy and Human Resources Development Fund (PHRD) trust fund administered by the World Bank, and with the generous support of the Ministry of Finance, Government of Japan. Therefore, individual researchers or a team of them are invited to submit their proposals in the “Japanese Award for Outstanding Research on Development (ORD)” category following reading the criteria and conditions below.
Awarding organization: Global Development Network (GDN)
The 2021 edition of the competition will consist of two categories:
1- The Japanese Award for Outstanding Research on Development (ORD)
2- The Japanese Award for Most Innovative Development Project (MIDP)- this will come in a separate post with detailed information.
About the first category
This category of award is a competitive research grant scheme aimed at finding and funding research proposals with high potential to drive excellence in research and explicit policy impact for working on development issues in low-middle income countries.
What should you submit in this category?
Researchers from eligible countries may submit their proposals on the theme “International Trade and Promotion of Diversity” of the ORD 2021.
Number of winning projects: 3
Projects start date: 15 January 2022
Three projects will win three prizes with grants as follows:
- 1st prize grant: 30,000 USD
- 2nd prize grant: 10,000 USD
- 3rd prize grant: 5,000 USD
The funds are meant to support researchers’ proposed research toward completion. In addition, finalists will get the opportunity to work with reputable scholars in their work area who will play a role as their scientific and technical advisors.
- The competition is open to researchers who are nationals or permanent residents of low-come or middle-income countries.
- Applicants from eligible countries presently living in a non-eligible country are eligible to apply provided they have not been residing there for more than 5 years as of 20 July 2021.
- Applicants should not be over 45 years old as of 20 July 2021.
- Former and present employees of GDN or its regional network partners as well as previous ORD winners and finalists are not eligible.
How to apply?
To apply, follow the steps below.
A- Prepare your application components
- Proposal template (download it here and fill in the recommended format). The proposal should not more than 20 pages in length.
- Organizational details (up to one page)
- CVs of all your team members
B- Submit your application online
Using the GDN’s submission platform below to submit your proposal.
Further points to consider
- Individual researchers or a team of them can apply.
- All applications must include CVs of all team members.
- Proposals and all other mandatory documents must be submitted only in English.
- Applicants must read the guidelines and terms and conditions of the award and agree with them before submitting an application.
- Academic quality
- Clarity of the proposal relations to policy
Important Timeline for the first category
- Submissions deadline: 9 June 2021(6 PM IST)
- Announcement of screening results: 14 June 2021
- Announcement of (shortlisted applications) and feedbacks from reviewers: 17 July 2021
- Resubmission of the updated application by the shortlisted candidates: 25 July 2021
- Announcement (finalists) and feedbacks from reviewers: 1 September 2021
- Resubmission of updated applications by the finalists: 17 September 2021
- Winning proposals announcement: 24 October 2021
- Finalists are expected to be available during the following periods:
- For Communications training: 20-21 October 2021
- For the presentation ceremony of their projects to the jury: 22-24 October 2021
For more detailed information about the competition that will help you prepare a strong application, please visit the official link.