Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Language Teaching
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 114130
Application is open for Afghanistan University Student Exchange Program (AUSEP) for Afghanistan citizens who meet program requirements to study English in Uzbekistan.
About the AUSEP program
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan and American Councils for International Education offer an open-competition training program for pre-service English teachers to participate in the Afghanistan University Student Exchange Program (AUSEP). The application for AUSEP 2021 is now open. The overarching goals of AUSEP are to enhance the quality of English language teaching in Afghanistan. So, if you are an English faculty student fulfilling the criteria, DO APPLY!
Participants will be part of professional development training in Uzbekistan and implement and teach English language activities in their home communities, upon return to Afghanistan.
Application deadline: 31 March 2021 (11:59 PM Kabul Time). Extended to April 11, 2021
Organizers: US Embassy and American Councils for International Education
Institution: Uzbekistan State University of World Languages
Start time: September and October 2021
Location: Tashkent, Uzbekistan
Duration: Five weeks
Number of trainings: 6 (to be completed over three years)
Number of participants per training: 25
The program includes thrilling benefits as follows:
- The participants will partake in rigorous training designed and led by American Councils.
- Trainers from Michigan State University (MSU), the United States’ top-ranked university for training primary and secondary teachers, will work in collaboration with Afghan English language educators to deliver training.
- Afghan faculty from the sending universities of the participants will accompany the groups as chaperones and mentors.
A student-centered learning approach will be applied.
Trainings six days a week
- Separate cohorts for males and females.
- Evening and weekend cultural program.
- Accommodation in double rooms.
Note: Read the full benefits of this program through the official link at the bottom of this page.
- In Tashkent, each participant will establish an action plan, instructed by trainers and mentors.
- Daily seminars and professional development activities will be complemented by evening and weekend programming and volunteer service learning that enhance the participants’ most recent leadership skills and digital literacy.
- In-class and extracurricular activities will create connections among young teachers and faculty from Afghanistan, the U.S., and Uzbekistan.
Successful applicants must be willing to participate in all aspects of the program activities, both in Uzbekistan and in Afghanistan. Selection for the AUSEP program is merit-based and open to students from all parts of Afghanistan, male and female. To be eligible, a person must be:
- An Afghan national who is currently living in Afghanistan with an official Tazkera (National Identification Card);
- Currently, a full-time, third-year university student enrolled in a teacher preparation or English language faculty/department at an Afghanistan public university, or institute of higher learning;
- Committed to coming back to Afghanistan and sharing knowledge and skills gained through the program with other teachers of English;
- Able to travel to Uzbekistan and stay five weeks independent of any family members;
- Capable of indicating superior performance on English appraisals to be conducted by American Councils;
- Able to fully dedicate to all the program’s major activities as described;
- Ready to commit to completing current studies;
- Free of any conflict of interest: immediate family members of American Councils staff, or of staff engaged as sub-recipients do not qualify; and
- Able to submit a complete application package (please see Application Checklist).
Note: Please check with the English Department at your Government University that your name is in the list that is sent to the Ministry of Higher Education.
Also, apply to other opportunities for English instructors:
- English Language Summer School for Students to improve their English language skills
- (Renmin University of China) Master’s Scholarship Programs for International Students
How to apply?
Qualified candidates can apply online.
Read more about the program on US Embassy’s website.
For questions please contact:
Email: [email protected]
Telephones: (+93) 799 220 878/ 0790 56 95 53 (in Afghanistan)