Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement TOEFLDuolingo
Fields of study Different
Opportunity Type : Fully FundedSelf Funded
Duration 2 Weeks
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 70125
The 2023 Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) application period is currently open. A program called Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) brings together high school students from all over the world to foster debates on cutting-edge scholarly subjects. Participants select a session based on their academic interests and connect with international peers who share their interests.
Students from more than 150 nations, including all 50 U.S. states, take part in a two-week interdisciplinary session at Yale’s historic campus every summer. Join Yale University‘s worldwide learning community and immerse yourself there. Join YYGS to engage with Yale faculty and staff and learn from peers from across the world about global perspectives.
Sessions in the humanities, social sciences, STEM, and a cross-disciplinary program that combines all of the aforementioned are available at YYGS.
- Application deadline:
- Early Action: November 2, 2022 (closed)
- Regular Decision: January 10, 2023
- Host Institution: Yale University
- Open to: International Students
Students participate in class discussions where peers from all 50 U.S. states and more than 150 nations give viewpoints from across the world. They offer scholarships and need-based financial aid totaling over $3 million USD, covering up to 100% of tuition fees. For a reduced application fee, applicants are encouraged to submit their applications by the Early Action date. Students can apply a fee waiver to lower their application price to SO USD if paying the charge is too expensive.
Session I: Residential (18 to 30 June, 2023)
- Innovations in Science & Technology (IST I)
- Literature, Philosophy & Culture (LPC I)
- Politics, Law, & Economics (PLE I)
- Solving Global Challenges (SGC I)
Session II: Residential (July 2 to 14 2023)
- Innovations in Science & Technology (IST II)
- Literature, Philosophy & Culture (LPC II)
- Politics, Law, & Economics (PLE II)
- Solving Global Challenges (SGC II)
Session III: Residential (July 16 to 28 2023)
- Innovations in Science & Technology (IST III)
YYGS provides domestic and international students in the United States with more than $3 million USD in need-based financial help.
- Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Alumni Scholarship: Selected students who completed the YYAS program in any summer previous to 2023 will be given Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Alumni Scholarships. Any of the 2023 YYGS sessions are free for students to attend, the scholarship, which also pays for their travel expenses.
- Young Leaders (YL) Scholarship: Selected students in the United States and abroad who self-identify as at least ONE of the following will be given YL Scholarships:
- Black or African American (including Africa & the Caribbean)
- Hispanic &/or Latino/Latina/Latinx
- Members of Indigenous peoples, nations, &/or communities
- Refugees: A refugee is a person who has been forced to flee his or her home country due to persecution, war, or violence. A refugee is someone who is afraid of being persecuted because of their race, religion, nationality, political beliefs, or membership in a particular social group.
- The YL scholarship pays for students’ full tuition and travel expenses to any of the YYGS sessions offered in 2023.
- Students from ALL nations are eligible to apply for need-based financial aid through YYGS, which accepts applications from ALL nations.
- By the start of Session III on July 19, 2023, you must be at least 16 years old.
- Have the ability to engage in a demanding academic program conducted in English.
- Be a current sophomore or junior in high school (or its international equivalent).
- Be graduating in the Northern Hemisphere in May/June 2024 or 2025, or in the Southern Hemisphere in November/December 2023 or 2024.
- Be a first-time participant in YYGS; you are not eligible to participate in YYGS 2023 if you participated in a YYGS session during a previous summer (2022 and earlier).
- Please keep in mind that if you previously applied to YYGS but were not admitted or were unable to attend AND you meet the eligibility criteria outlined above, you are encouraged to reapply for YYGS 2023.
YYGS reviews all applications on a holistic base. Since students come from different backgrounds and with different educational and extracurricular activities, the essays and letters of recommendation are the most important portion of the application.
All students must submit the following documents for application:
- List of activities
- One 500-word essay and one 200-word response
- Two “fast take” responses (280 characters each)
- Official school transcript
- Two Recommenders (who shall complete YYGS Recommendation Forms ONLY. No written recommendation is accepted)
- Application fee ($60 for Early Action, $75 for Regular Decision)
- English fluency test scores (TOEFL or DuoLingo) is optional.
- Filling need-based financial aid form is also optional, but those in need must complete that.
- The application fee must be paid online directly after submission of the application, and the application fee is non-refundable.
How to apply?
The application for YYGS Summer Program is online. Therefore, you may complete and submit the online application.
Before submitting the application, complete some steps as below:
- Review the edibility requirements and application components.
- Go over a PDF of a sample blank application and start preparing to answer questions.
- You will need to submit contact details for a parent/guardian, teacher, and/or official at your school. Reach out to them as soon as possible to be sure to collect the right information you need, and
- Finally, start, complete, and submit your application and review it wholly to make sure there are no missing components.
Application Fee Waiver:
If paying the application fee would put a considerable financial strain on the student’s family, YYGS will waive it. The “Payment Options” page of the YYGS application has a link to the Fee Waiver Request Form, however it won’t show up there until after students have finished filling out the “Financial Aid” page (as it is only available for those who request need-based financial aid). Students who request a fee waiver must have a school representative sign the application.
YYGS is hosting a LIVE webinar series on admissions, financial aid, academics, and other topics. Meet the YYGS staff, ask questions, and determine if YYGS is a good fit for you. If you are unable to attend the webinar, you can register to receive an automatic recording after it concludes.
To learn more about Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) Program, please visit Yale University’s website.