Opportunity ID 4083
Language Requirement TOEFL
Fields of study Different Subjects
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 12 months- 36 Months
Language of Instruction English
Application is open for the Swiss government Excellence Scholarship program for the Academic year of 2024-2025.
The Swiss government offers its Excellence scholarship to foreign students and researchers from over 180 countries to create an international exchange and study at Swiss higher education institutions. Young artists with a bachelor’s degree and researchers with a master’s degree or Ph.D. can apply to the Swiss Excellence fully funded scholarship program.
Scholarships type offered:
- Research scholarship for those who have at least a master’s degree and are willing to do their research in Switzerland. (include Research fellowship, PhD and PostDoc)
- Art Scholarship for those who want to start and pursue their master’s degree in Swiss for a limited number of countries.
Each country has been offered scholarships with separate requirements and programs. Students need to check the requirements for their countries HERE.
Swiss Scholarship for Afghanistan
Swiss Excellence Scholarship is offered for Afghanistan in the following three types:
- Ph.D. Scholarships
- Post Doctoral Scholarship
- Research Scholarships
- Ph.D.: 12 months extendable up to 36 months
- Research and postdoctoral studies: 12 months ( not extendable)
Details of Research Scholarship for Afghanistan
- Start of Application: August 2
- Deadline: September 30
- Location: Switzerland
- Level of study: Research
- Deadline for Submission of application package: September to December differed according to the country
- Result announcement: May 2024
- Start of the program: September 1, the next year
- Targeted group: eligible postgraduate researchers from all academic fields as well as young medical doctors
Benefits of the scholarship:
Swiss Excellence Scholarships offers the following expenses:
- Monthly stipend of CHF 1,920 for Research, Ph.D. & Master of Arts, CHF 3,500 for Postdoctoral studies
- Health Insurance
- One-way trip flight ticket from Swiss to the home country
- CHF 300 allowance for housing
- Half-fare public transportation card for one year
- Support for various trips organized for scholarship holders
Who can apply for Swiss Excellence scholarships?
The applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants who want to undertake research, Ph.D., or a Postdoctoral scholarship must find a host professor in Switzerland willing to support and entitled to supervise their scholarship, research project, or Ph.D. project. A specific letter of invitation must imperatively be part of the application package. This is also valid for doctoral
- For research and Ph.D. candidates, a research proposal, including time, is needed.
- For Ph.D. and Research scholarships, candidates should hold a master’s degree or equivalent or receive it by July 31, 2024
- Not born before December 31, 1987
- Not have been for more than 1 year in Switzerland
- Not have received a Swiss scholarship previously
- For Postdoc candidates, you need to have obtained your degree between 31 December 2020 and 31 July 2024. (except: ETH
Zurich: 30 June 2024 ) PhD degree certificate completed.
- For Art scholarships, applicants should hold bachelor’s degree or equivalent achieved before 31 July 2023 (degree certificate).
- A proof for “admission is under consideration” at the intended Swiss arts or music school (conservatory). This may be in the form of a conditional acceptance pending an entry exam or other specific requirements. If applicable: a copy of the letter from a professor confirming the supervision of the studies.
The Swiss Excellence scholarship is available for the following countries:
Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cap Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote D ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea North, Korea South, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Island, Mauritania, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Palestinian Authority, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Congo, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Salomon Islands, Samoa, Santa Lucia, Sao Tome and principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sri Lanka, St. Kitts and Nevis, St- Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Surinam, Swaziland / eSwatini, Sweden, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, UK, USA, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vatican City State, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Eligible higher education institutions:
For postgraduate scholarships (Research Fellowships, PhD, Postdoctoral)
- University of Basel
- University of Bern
- University of Fribourg
- University of Geneva
- University of Lausanne
- University of Lucerne
- University of Neuchâtel
- University of St. Gallen
- University of Zurich
- Università della Svizzera italiana
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL)
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETHZ)
- Research Institutes of the ETH Domain (PSI; WSL; EMPA; EAWAG)
- Graduate Institute
For postgraduate scholarships(Research fellowships and Postdoctoral only)
- University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland
- Bern University of Applied Sciences
- University of Applied Sciences Northwest Switzerland
- University of applied Sciences Eastern Switzerland
- University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons
- Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland
- The Zürcher Fachhochschule
- Universities of teacher education
For art scholarships
- University of Applied Sciences and Arts Western Switzerland
- Bern University of the Arts
- University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland
- University of Applied Sciences Eastern Switzerland
- Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland
- Conservatorio della Svizzera italiana
- Zurich University of the Arts
Required documents for Swiss Government Scholarships:(in English, French, German or Italian)
Documents to enclose for Research fellowships, PhD and Postdoctoral Scholarship Applications (Postgraduate level):
To apply, you must provide two sets of documents, (1 original + a copy). The first set should include signed documents, confidential letters of recommendation, and translations in English, if needed. The second set should be identical to the first, except for the confidential letters of recommendation, which should only be included in the first set.
Watch this video
1) Signed FCS application form (typed and printed) with photo.
2) A full CV with list of academic publications, awards, etc.
3) A motivation letter (not more than 2 pages).
4) A complete research proposal (max. 5 pages, signed), using exclusively the FCS research proposal form.
5) A copy of the letter from an academic host professor (including her/his short CV) at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he is willing to support and supervise the research.
For research fellowships in addition:
A short CV of the academic mentor at the home institution.
For PhD scholarships at doctoral schools only, in addition:
The confirmation for accepted admission is required. A support letter from a host professor is required in any case.
6) Two confidential letters of recommendation from two different professors in the applicant’s field (use exclusively the FCS reference form – originals in sealed envelopes only for the 1st set). No copies for 2nd set.
7) Photocopies of certificates and grade sheets from previously attended universities/colleges and diplomas with grades, starting with the most recent. If not in English, French, Italian or German with attested certified translations. Do not submit the original certificates.
8) Signed medical certificate (use only the FCS health certificate form).
9) Two copies of the applicant’s passport (main page with personal data). Dual nationals add copies of both passports. If applicable, add a copy of the residence permit for Switzerland.
Please do not put the documents into plastic folders or binders.
Preliminary selection is made by the relevant country authorities and/or the Swiss diplomatic mission. The applications that are shortlisted are subsequently evaluated by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS), which determines the final decision.
The FCS evaluates scholarship applications based on three criteria:
- Candidate information
- The standard of the research study or artistic work
- Potential for future research collaboration and synergies
The FCS is made up of professors from all of Switzerland’s public universities. Scholarships are awarded based on academic and scientific excellence.
How to apply?
Applicants should check their eligibility according to their country of origin. They can contact the designated Swiss office assigned to their country if they are eligible.
Applicants from Afghanistan can contact the Swiss embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan, to receive all detailed information about the Swiss Excellence Scholarships and the package for application. Applicants from countries other than Afghanistan Should find their country-specified scholarships HERE, read the details, and apply accordingly.
Please download and read the program details (linked below) before applying to this program.
Afghan Applicants can get and submit the application form to the address below: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that Afghanistan applicants who apply to Ph.D. program should simultaneously apply for admission and for a Scholarship. Applicants can get the application package by contacting the Swiss Cooperation Office Pakistan in Islamabad. Then submit two sets of the application (a copy and original of all documents )
For more information, please the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship Program Website.
Contact address of the Swiss embassy in Islamabad:
Afghanistan applicants can contact:
0093 790 08 0800
0093 729 31 3135
Embassy of Switzerland to Pakistan
Street 06, Diplomatic Enclave, G-5/4
People from other countries should contact the Swiss embassy in their home countries. find the details Here
You may also like these opportunities:
- The Queensland University of Technology Free Online Course on ‘Teaching Entrepreneurial Thinking
- Earth Company’s “Impact Hero 2023” Program for Change-makers from Asia-Pacific Countries
- Japan MEXT University Recommendation (UR) Scholarship at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University
- MEXT Top Global University Scholarships at Asia Pacific University