Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 15
Fields of study Civil Society Leadership
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 17 Months
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 119027
The Graduate School of International Studies, AJOU University in South Korea offers a specialized master program for civil society members and leaders from a number of countries including Afghanistan to build their capacity and provide to them the training and education in economic and social development. Applicants from eligible countries who wish to explore this opportunity can apply to study in South Korea.
Details of KOICA Scholarships:
Deadline: 5 April 2021
Host Institution: Graduate School of International Studies, AJOU University
Country: Republic of Korea
Duration: 2021.8.14. ~ 2023.1.13. (17 months)
Number of participants per year: 15
Degree earned: Master of Arts (MA) in Social Studies
Language of teaching: English
KOICA covers the following costs during the participant’s stay in Korea.
- Tuition & Admission fee
- Housing (on-campus dormitory; double room)
- Allowance: KRW 999,000 per month (covering the meal, books and study materials, etc.)
- Overseas travel insurance, etc.
The MA program in civil society leadership aims to:
- Help the capacity development of young or mid-level civil society leaders of the partner countries of Korea
- Provide graduate-level education to the civil society organization leaders with a focus on economic and social development
- Share the experience of Korea of the development of civil society organizations
- Provide the international forum for civil society leaders to connect, interact, and collaborate with CS leaders from other countries
- To contribute to the sound, strong, sustainable, and balanced development of Asian countries by developing the capacity of the leaders of civil society who will play crucial roles in promoting, facilitating, and providing the services for the Accomplishment of social and economic development goals such as UN SDGs
Applicants should meet the following criteria to be eligible.
- Be a citizen of eligible countries for the program.
- Be working in recognized civil society organizations (CSO) with at least 2 years of experience.
- Be below the age of 40 as of February 1, 2021, Preferably).
- Be in good physical and mental health condition.
- Those with disabilities, but still in good mental and physical condition, are eligible to apply.
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent education to college/university level Educational background.
- Possess a good proficiency in both spoken and written English to be able to take completely English-medium classes and to be able to write academic reports and theses in English.
- A person who has quit KOICA’s scholarship program does not qualify.
- Have not already received a KOICA scholarship program or any of the Korean Government’s Scholarship Program.
Eligible Countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, the Philippines, Timor-Leste, Vietnam
How to apply?
To apply, prepare the application documents, fill out the required forms and checklist and, when ready, submit the application package (including both university and KOICA application forms and other required documents) to the KOICA overseas office or the Korean Embassy by the deadline above.
- KOICA Application Form
- Two Recommendation letter
- Document Checklist
- University Application form with mandatory documents for the host university.
- Statement of Purpose
- Curriculum Vitae
- Degree/Diploma (Original copy of Korean Embassy Notarization/Apostille)
- Transcripts (Original copy of Korean Embassy Certification/Apostille)
- Attestation of Academic Record
- English Proficiency Certificate (any kind and if available)
- Employment Evidence
- List of Certificates and Awards (optional)
- Copy of Passport
- Birth Certificate or Household residence
- Medical certificate
Click here to find the forms and document samples.
In addition, applicants must provide two recommendation letters written by someone in each of the following two categories:
1) a high-level member of their organization, an UN-affiliated organization, or other global civil society organization; and
2) a senior member of their government office, Korean Embassy or the KOICA Overseas Office within their region.
Note: all forms should be filled in English and all documents should be prepared in English too. If they are not in the English language, they should have a notarized English translation
Contact information on the university:
Graduate School of International Studies (GSIS), Ajou University, Republic of Korea
Tel +82-31-219-1552, 1555, 3596~7, 3613
Email [email protected]
For more information about this program and to read the full guidelines and document details, please visit the KOICA-Ajou Master program.
Should you have inquiries concerning application documents or process, please contact Ajou.
Email: [email protected]