No. of Opportunity 1
About the award
Nominations & applications are now open for The Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award 2021. The award was made to reward the life and work of Pulitzer Prize-winning Associated Press photographer and IWMF Courage in Journalism Awardee Anja Niedringhaus (1965-2014). Now, the award recognizes the value of visual journalistic work that prompts to take actions and better realize the world. IWMF annually presents the award to a woman photojournalist whose work demonstrates courage and dedication.
Application deadline: 28 May 202, 11:59 PM EDT
Awarding institution: International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF)
Award value: 20,000USD in cash prize
Other benefits for the winner
The winner’s work will be featured on IWMF’s website and will receive public recognition.
Nominees must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the award nomination:
- Be full-time journalists of any citizenship.
- Journalism must be a candidate’s primary occupation.
- Both freelance journalists and journalists associated with media organizations are eligible.
- Identify as women.
- No matter the length or level of work experience, the nominee/candidate can tell her story if she is dedicated to her work in journalism.
Nomination and application guidelines
- Eligible applicants can apply themselves or be nominated by a third-party for the award.
- Each nomination/application must include the candidate’s information, work samples (made of a series of 12 photos) and a nomination/candidature statement (up to 500 words).
Specifics of submission documents:
- Image size: at least 1600px on the longest dimension (22.5 inches at 72 dpi, JPG format)
- Each photograph must have a caption detailing on the date, place, and situation taken.
- Six (6) of the photos must have been captured within the past two years (2019-2021). The other six can be taken at any time during the candidate’s career.
The statement must answer the following questions:
- What stories does the candidate describe through her photos?
- How do the submitted photographs with this nomination illustrate the scope of the nominee’s work?
- Under what circumstances does the nominee work?
- How do the candidate’s career and work reflect the values of Anja Niedringhaus?
- Candidate statements must be written in English.
Application or nomination can be in English, French or Spanish.
How to apply or submit a nomination?
Nominations can be submitted online through the following link.
For more information about the award, please refer to 2021 Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism Award.
For questions pertaining to Claudia Gonzalez at [email protected].