Opportunity ID 222617
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Verious Fields
Opportunity Type : Partially Funded
Duration 2 Years
Language of Instruction English
The South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE) calls for research concept notes from South Asian researchers for ICIMOD SANDEE Research Grants.
SANDEE, an International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) research capacity and academic leadership development network, supports South Asian and Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) researchers and institutions. Scholars and institutions interested in the interconnections between economic development, the environment, and the use of natural resources can apply for this opportunity.
ICIMOD will strive over the next four years (2023-2026) to achieve its new goal for 2030: a greener, more inclusive, and climate-resilient HKH. It will concentrate its efforts primarily on three critical areas:
- Reducing climate and environmental risks
- Resilient mountain economies and landscapes
- Enabling regional and global mechanisms for sustainable action
SANDEE seeks concept notes on environmental and resource economics relating to the development of South Asia and the HKH region, emphasizing the three priority areas of study listed above. Concept notes that illustrate a strong need from policymakers for their underlying research are of particular interest.
Application Deadline: 8 January 2024
Fellowship Duration: 2 Years
Eligible Gender: Men and Women
Organizer: South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE)
Eligible Countries: South Asian and Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) Regions
Grant Amount and Duration
ICIMOD SANDEE research grants will range from USD 20,000 to 30,000 over two years. The upper limit awards are for multidisciplinary teams that involve two or more countries in the region or focus on a transboundary issue that necessitates an interdisciplinary team.
SANDEE is looking for concept notes on two of their three new strategic groups’ themes:
- Reducing climate and environmental risks, such as understanding the socioeconomic implications of:
- a changing cryosphere
- multi-hazard disaster risk reduction
- sustainable river basin management
- air pollution impacts and examining potential solutions and policies from multiple perspectives.
- Understanding the economics of:
- sustainable and resilient mountain livelihoods
- institutions and their responses to improve livelihoods in the face of climate and environmental changes
- valuation and incentive-based mechanisms that help restore mountain ecosystems and biodiversity
- spring shed and wetlands management are examples of resilient mountain economies and landscapes.
SANDEE also supports research on regional concerns, including environmental issues, relevant to national, provincial, and local authorities in South Asia and the HKH region.
It encompasses topics like NDCs, NBSAP, Sendai Framework, air quality, and urban challenges such as energy access/transition, green value chains, landscape management, agroecosystems, forest restoration, circular economy, and climate change adaptation/mitigation, with a focus on exploring how nature-based solutions (NbS) can offer broader co-benefits
To be eligible for the ICIMOD SANDEE Research Grants, applicants should fulfill these criteria:
- Submission is open to researchers from South Asia and the HKH region.
- Researchers whose families work at ICIMOD or as current consultants are not eligible for the research grant.
- Principal investigators (PIs) must be junior to mid-career professionals working for a university, research institute, or other similar regional institutions, such as government agencies or non-profit organizations.
- Senior researchers (professors, directors, and other comparable levels/positions) are ineligible for research support/grants.
- Women scholars and researchers connected with Himalayan University Consortium (HUC) member universities are encouraged to apply.
- Concept notes submitted in response to this call will be prioritized by SANDEE based on a strong economic component, the dual potential for high-impact scientific publications, and information valuable to regional policymakers at various levels, regardless of the focus on environmental/natural resource issues.
- SANDEE will reject concept notes focused on producing consulting-type reports for action research. Instead, it accepts interdisciplinary initiatives, cross-border collaborations, and transboundary themes with a mountain and gender focus. Clear identification of each team member’s tasks and responsibilities is essential.
- The Principal Investigator (PI) must be affiliated with an institution. A support letter from the PI’s affiliated institution is necessary for further consideration when submitting a full proposal, although not required for concept notes.
Note: ICIMOD keeps the right to cancel or postpone the call at any time based on the availability of research funds.
The ICIMOD SANDEE research grants selection procedure will be as follows:
- Applications that do not meet the criteria above will not be considered.
- Shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation to submit full research proposals.
- Full proposals will go for a rigorous review by multiple reviewers at various stages.
- Successfully revised proposals will go for further review, resulting in a final shortlist.
- Principal Investigators (PIs) of shortlisted proposals will receive an invitation to a research and training workshop in the summer of 2024.
- PIs will present and defend their proposals for a SANDEE research support competition at the workshop.
- Notification of shortlisting for applicants will be communicated via email.
How do you apply for the ICIMOD SANDEE Research Grants?
Applicants must apply online by entering the link below:
If you face any problem while submitting the online form, kindly email Manashree Newa at email@example.com, specifying the nature of the issue. Please visit the official website of the ICIMOD for detailed information about the ICIMOD SANDEE Research Grants or download the flyer.
Check Similar Opportunities: