Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 20
Opportunity Type : Partially Funded
Duration 2 Years
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 77950
The EUTOPIA European University has announced the opening of 20 post-doctoral fellowships within the EUTOPIA Science and Innovation Fellowships Programme (EUTOPIA-SIF). The purpose of the EUTOPIA-SIF program is to strengthen the research potential and career perspectives of exceptional young researchers worldwide.
Furthermore, the EUTOPIA-SIF post-doctoral fellows will be hired by one of the EUTOPIA universities (Host University) according to an individual research project and the quality of their academic background for a 24-month post-doctoral contract with highly rewarding conditions.
Deadline for submission of proposal: 13 January 2021 (1:00 ECT)
Host institution: EUTOPIA European University
Interview stage: 25-30 March 2021
Notification of result to the applicant: 19 April 2021 onward
Start date: September 2021
Duration: 2 years
Under the Marie Sklodowska-Curie grant agreement, the program has received funding for a total number of 76 post-doctoral fellowships, over 4 years, and a budget of 10,2M€, of which 5,6M€ financed by the European Union and 4,6M€ by the EUTOPIA partner universities.
The EUTOPIA-SIF is a highly competitive program offering very demanding conditions to young researchers for research excellence and career development, including:
- 2-year employment contract as a Marie Sklodowska-Curie COFUND (MSCA) fellow at one of the EUTOPIA universities, with a monthly average gross salary of 4,349 € and a complementary budget for research and travel costs.
- Full academic freedom to follow your research project in the new infrastructures of EUTOPIA research centers and in an encouraging interdisciplinary and international academic context.
- International and intersectoral mobility through two other secondment periods. More than 45 companies, local authorities, and non-profit organizations actively support the program, inspiring innovation, and entrepreneurship.
- Overarching training program including transferable skills development, such as academic leadership, and active career mentoring by senior academic supervisors.
- And, attractive living conditions and high quality of life offered by the local environments of all EUTOPIA universities.
EUTOPIA-SIF fellowships provide high-profile young researchers with the opportunity to develop their own research project in the thought-provoking academic environment of the EUTOPIA Alliance. Besides, extensive research mobility is essential to the fellowships with two compulsory secondment periods: one at another EUTOPIA university (Co-host University) and one with an external academic or non-academic partner institution aimed at fostering the fellows’ entrepreneurial spirit, tangible research impact, and creativity.
EUTOPIA-SIF fellows will demonstrate, through their research project, their capacity to tackle major social challenges in at least one of the five Key Research Areas:
- Materials engineering: including advanced analytical science, photonics, new material science, quantum technology
- Data & Intelligence: including artificial intelligence, complexity, information-systems engineering
- Health: including immunology and antibacterial resistance, cancer, aging, reproductive health, neurosciences
- Sustainability: including energy, circular economy, mobility, urban planning, material heritage, water management
- Welfare & Inclusion: including business management and finance, governance, ethics, inequality, law, and demography
Moreover, fellows will adopt an interdisciplinary approach and address questions that are central to grasping and shaping the future of our planet, the technologies that form our lives, and the societies we will live in.
- Renowned Researchers, Ph.D. holders or equivalent, of any nationality, conforming to the MSCA-COFUND mobility rule.
- No seniority condition applies; however, candidates cannot hold a permanent research position.
- Candidates are utterly free in the design of their research projects. However, they must present one or more of the program’s Key Research Areas to characterize their project.
- All disciplines, and namely applications from the Arts and Humanities, are welcomed, provided that they bear a connection with EUTOPIA-SIF Key Research Areas.
MSCA Mobility Rule
EUTOPIA-SIF fellows must not have lived or done their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the selected primary host university for more than 12 months in the 3 years before the date of appointment.
Applications will be reviewed in a rigorous two-stage process, including an external review of eligible applicants by prominent experts and interviews with shortlisted candidates.
The assessment criteria include:
- Scientific quality.
- Experience and prior results of the candidate.
- Feasibility and potential impact of the proposal.
- And the candidate’s career development perspective as a EUTOPIA-SIF fellow.
How to apply?
You should submit an online application for this fellowship program. The application must be submitted in English.
Note: In compliance with the chosen Key Research Area(s), candidates must select at least one and up to three pairs of host and co-host universities of the program and the EUTOPIA research group(s) that they plan to collaborate with. Furthermore, applicants may indicate prospective academic supervisors.
Should you require further information regarding the program, visit the official link.