Opportunity ID 70038
Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 6
Language of Instruction English
Call for Submissions for Lexus Design Award 2021 is now open. Every year, Lexus launches the worldwide design competition that serves as a platform for emerging designers and creators whose design works can lead to a better future.
Besides, it attracts thousands of entrants from across the world who aspire to win the prestigious award for innovative design excellence. The 2021 award establishes a commitment to supporting tomorrow’s creators with a new Launchpad for their careers with world-class mentoring, prototype funding, and unmatched global exposure. So, if you are interested, apply and discover the global WORLD of Lexus.
Deadline for entry: October 11, 2020 (11:59 p.m. ECT)
Organizer: Lexus International
Number of finalists: 6
Announcement of the top winner (Grand Prix): Milan Design Week Event, 2021
Prizes and benefits
Winners will receive the following benefits:
- Invitation to the exhibition at Milan Design Week at Lexus Design Event.
- World-class Mentoring Workshop in New York City.
- Funding to financially support their design to life.
- Be subject to change.
- Six Finalists will be chosen, and patterns of their submitted proposals will be showcased at the 2021 Lexus Design Event at Milan Design Week, where the Grand Prix winner will be decalred.
- Prior to the Grand Prix selection event, Finalists will attend a workshop with world-class design professionals to expand on their prototypes. There will be continual follow-up by the Mentors as the Finalists develop their designs into physical prototypes.
- Lexus International will cover prototype production costs up to 3 million JPY (over $25,000 USD), including tax.
- The Lexus Design Award invites design entries from professionals, students, and design enthusiasts from any country or region in the world.
- Individuals who have reached the age of majority in their home country are considered as entrants and are eligible.
- Submissions fall into the categories of Industrial Design, Architecture, Technology/Engineering, Interior Design, and Fashion Design.
- Applicants have to develop innovative designs and adopt fresh, imaginative solutions highlighting the creative interplay between design and technology.
- And, applicants’ ideas and designs should be appealing and engaging to the audience and the high-profile judging panel.
- Any incomplete, inaccurate, or incomprehensible ENTRIES may be disqualified.
The Organizer will appoint a panel of qualified judges for Lexus Design Award 2021, which will evaluate and number all qualifting entries based on the following criteria, and will thus determine a shortlist and 6 Finalists.
The judging criteria are:
ANTICIPATE: Do the concept and design anticipate not only the needs of the user experience but the needs of society?
INNOVATE: Does the design display new thinking and novelty in its proposal and implementation?
CAPTIVATE: Is the design engaging and compelling when realized in concept and implementation?
How to apply?
Applicants can submit their design entries online after reading the official rules and meeting all the requirements stated.
Before you submit your design entry, you need to register by creating an account on Lexus website.
Submit your entry HERE.
To submit a complete entry, applicants should consider steps as follows:
- There is no limitation to the number of entries per person.
- Entries must be submitted in English only.
- Entrants may submit work submitted to other competitions before only if the work has not won any previous awards.
- All work must be the Entrant’s entirely original creation (except material in the public domain). Read more about rules here.
What you should include in your entry:
– Name of the project
– One-Line Brief Introduction (Within 15 words)
– Complete Description (Within 250 words)
– Insert information on the background of the work, production/manufacturing process, materials used for construction, and any evidence or details you think can fully explain your work.
How your work makes the world a better place considering three judging criteria as described above:
1. Anticipate: (100 words)
2. Innovate: (100 words)
3. Captivate: (100 words)
– Images: 2 images are obligatory; one main image of your work and one image that shows how your work would function or be used. Six other images are optional.