Opportunity ID 82191
Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 2
Opportunity Type : Partially Funded
Language of Instruction English
Academy on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law, situated at American University Washington College of Law, calls for papers for the Human Rights Essay Award (HREA) 2024.
The Human Rights Essay Award is an annual award the Academy gives to encourage the publication of academic works on international human rights legislation. The 2024 award theme is “Protection and Guarantee of Human Rights in Digital Environments.” Participants are free to choose any topic connected to this theme.
The essay’s scope, however, must properly correspond to the 2024 theme, or it will be dismissed. Furthermore, we argue that international human rights law incorporates international humanitarian and criminal laws.
- Submission Deadline: 1 February 2024 (11:59 PM (EST)
- Result Announcement: 1 April 2024
- Organizer: American University Washington College of Law
- Location: U.S.
- Number of Finalist Essays: two (1 in English and 1 in Spanish)
- Field of Study: Law (Equity and Human Rights)
Benefits of the Human Rights Essay Award
The Academy will present two awards: the best English piece and the best Spanish article. In each situation, the Award will consist of:
- • A full tuition scholarship to the Program of Advanced Studies in Humanitarian Law and Human Rights for the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance (transportation, accommodation, and per diem living expenses are not included).
- The top essays may also be published in the American University International Law Review, which includes a wide range of scholarly material. This prominent publication receives roughly 1,500 submissions annually and publishes legal research from professors, judges, lawyers, and renowned researchers.
Eligibilities for Applicants
All applicants must meet the bellow requirements:
- This Award is open to all nationalities;
- A law degree, such as a (J.D.) Juris Doctor), Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), or equivalent, is required.
- Must have previous experience or an interest in international human rights law.
- Have the freedom to select any topic connected to the 2024 theme: “Protection and Assurance of Human Rights in Digital Environments.”
- The essay must include citations to legal articles.
- Past Winners cannot enter this year’s competition.
Submission essays should meet the following requirements:
- Essays must not be more than 35 pages
- The essay content is double-spaced and in Times New Roman font size 12.
- Footnotes must be in single-space, 1-inch (2.54cm) margins, size 10, Times New Roman font.
- The page is letter size (8.5 x 11 inches/21.59 x 27.94 cm).
- There is no information in the essay that identifies the author.
Applicants need to prepare the following documents and submit them with their essays:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), a maximum of three pages, explaining the applicant’s experience or interest in human rights issues;
- Authors should keep copies of all pages of their source materials; they may provide such documents as required at the discretion of the Academy.
Note: Please submit the Curriculum Vitae as a separate file from your essay. Applicants should not include any other documents or attachments other than their CVs. They should refrain from submitting, for example, a list of websites, a bibliography, or any other extra materials.
The Honour Juries that select the Award winners are professionals and international human rights law experts. Please search the University Website for the Jury information.
First, the Pre-Selection Committee will review all valid and non-disqualified essays. Then, the Committee will select the final three in each language. The Honour Jury will later consider the finalists.
The Honour Jury will announce their decision on the date stated in the ¨Important Dates¨ section on the University website. The Jury decision will be final with no appeal admitted.
How to Submit?
Applicants must submit their essays electronically via the link below. The organizer accepts no email submissions.
The Academy will email the applicants of successful submissions within 48 business hours. If an applicant still needs to receive confirmation notification about their proposal, please get in touch with the Academy to ensure themselves about their submission.
You may also like these opportunities: