Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Business, Entrepreneurship And Tech Innovation
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
About the challenge
Applications are now open for the Verizon- CGI U 2021 Social Innovation Challenge. The challenge is organized by Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) in collaboration with Verizon to encourage students from CGI U and alumni to develop pioneering solutions to some of the world’s most critical problems_ including those leveraging the power of 5G—to tackle significant societal challenges relating to education, health, and climate justice using innovative technology.
Application deadline: 1 April 2021
Organizers: Verizon, CGI U plus some of Verizon’s partners
Location: Virtual and Non-virtual
- Finalists of the challenge will be invited to attend a summer program of direct entrepreneurial training from accelerator partner VentureWell.
- Through the program, participants will also receive nearly $20,000 each team for seed funding and living stipend.
- Together with CGI U and VentureWell, Verizon will support social entrepreneurs, innovators, and commitment-makers to craft groundbreaking tech-based solutions uniquely developed to tackle pressing challenges within three areas.
- Professional mentorship and access to networking opportunities through CGI U, Verizon, and VentureWell communities.
- Opportunity to pitch your venture in September 2021 to a panel of experts.
- Access to the CGI U 2021 curriculum and invitations to the annual meeting, for those awardees not currently in the CGI U 2021 program.
Specific work areas
- Immersive education technology
- Climate justice
- Health quality
The challenge is open to applicants who meet the criteria below:
- To early-stage social businesspersons and innovators, including CGI U Alumni, 2021 CGI U Students or students currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate coursework. No prior CGI U community engagement is necessary.
- Current students who have applied to CGI U 2021 but have identified strong intersection within one of these tracks are strongly encouraged to submit an application.
- Potential applicants & teams should closely go through the research prompts connected to each of the tracks above prior to applying, to make sure that there is clear alignment.
- Participation from students with disabilities are highly encouraged.
Applications will be evaluated by the Social Innovation Challenge Selection Committee. All applicants will be informed of their application status in April 2021.
How to apply?
Qualified applicants can apply online. Before applying, you should review the application page to prepare application answers and make teams of 2-3.
To help students and schools interested in the Challenge, CGI U, Verizon, and VentureWell will host a series of thorough information sessions to help them prepare to prepare competitive submissions. So, they invite all who are interested in applying to tune in to the following recordings!
Information Session with North Carolina A&T State University recorded on February 23, 2021, with an emphasis on health equity
- 8:40: Overview of Challenge
- 24:12: Overview of Cutting-edge Technology and Social Impact
- 59:40: Go Dive into Health Equity
Note: If you are keen on applying, you are strongly encouraged to sign up for the Design Sprint co-hosted by CGI U and Verizon from March 8-12, 2021. The design sprint will prepare applicants to submit their most competitive ideas/submissions for the challenge.
Visit Social Innovation Challenge 2021 for more information.