Opportunity ID 89155
Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 4
Fields of study Different
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration One year
Language of Instruction English
The Graduate School of Social Sciences at the University of Bamberg announces the opening of two starter scholarships and two completion Scholarships for doctoral fellows who will complete their Ph.D. thesis at the Graduate School. If you are starting your doctoral degree, a doctoral student or on the verge of earning your doctoral degree, it is an outstanding opportunity for you to apply.
When to apply: By March 31, 2022
Host institution: Graduate School of Social Sciences, University of Bamberg
Starting date: 1 October 2022
Duration: one year
Abbreviation: Bamberg University Graduate School of Social Sciences (BAGSS)
Benefits of scholarship
- Starter/completion scholarship is worth 1,468 EUR per month.
- Besides, scholarship holders will have access to office space, required equipment, and funding for conference travel (on application).
- Successful candidates will work in Bamberg under the supervision of their supervisory committee continuously.
BAGSS invites applications from the following:
- It emphatically encourages applications from all backgrounds.
- Highly eligible doctoral researchers in the areas of Sociology, Psychology, Education, Political Science, Labor and Educational Economics, Statistics, and Demography.
- At the time of application, applicants should be affiliated members of BAGSS typically towards the end of a fixed-term academic position in an externally sponsored research project or a fixed-term teaching fellowship at the University with six-year fixed-term contracts or recipients of other doctoral scholarships will not normally be considered).
- While applying, candidates should not have worked on their doctoral projects for over five years.
- Early-career academics who are affiliated members of BAGSS and supervised by a professorial (or equivalent) member of BAGSS are especially encouraged to apply.
Applicants’ responsibilities for completion scholarships holders
During that one-year period, the recipients will have to complete and submit their doctoral thesis at the University of Bamberg.
Fellows’ theses should be in one of the thematic areas covered by the Graduate School. Participants are expected to have actively taken part in the BAGSS program prior to application.
The following criteria will apply for the selection of the Starter Scholarship awardees:
- The application is complete, formally precise, and submitted by the deadline and in the required style.
- It is realistic for the project to do within the proposed time boundary.
- Applicants meet all the above eligibility requirements.
- The whole application has the approval of the Executive Committee of the Graduate School in competition with other applications.
How to apply?
Applicants can submit their full application via email to admissions.bagss(at)uni-bamberg.de in a single PDF (max. 30 MB). Please, use your surname in the name of your application file (SURNAME.pdf; make sure to avoid special characters).
Applications must include the following documents:
Starter Scholarship required document:
1. Cover Letter
3. Research Proposal(s)
4. Academic degree certificates and university grade transcripts
5. Statement of knowledge of research methods
Completion Scholarship required documents:
- A cover letter not exceeding 1½ pages (Arial, size 11, 1.5 line spacing).
- Resume (including full contact details).
- Applicants’ Agreement of Supervision.
- Individual Research Training Plan (IRTP), to ensure that milestones have been agreed to and discussed on a regular basis.
- The nomination of a complete Supervisory Committee.
- An accurate and realistic work calendar for the funding period.
- A statement from your first supervisor, concisely reviewing the progress so far and evaluating the prospects for the completion of the project within the funding period above. Applicants can also send the statement separately via email to the above email.
- Copies of submitted articles or accomplished thesis chapters.
Please, do not attach any documents other than those asked, otherwise, your application will not be acceptable.
- All application materials must reach the university in English or German.
For additional information regarding the scholarship, you may visit Bamberg University’s website.