Opportunity ID 38388
Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 5
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Language of Instruction English
The Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)–Elsevier Foundation Awards 2024 is accepting applications. The Awards honor and encourage women in developing nations with prizes for female scientists in water, sanitation and hygiene. Women in the early phases of their scientific careers who have surmounted significant obstacles to attain excellence in research. Awardees must have demonstrated impact on the research environment, both locally and globally, and must have gotten their Ph.D. within the last 10 years.
Organized by: Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) & Elsevier Foundation
Application Deadline: 8 October 2023
Annual Meeting Host Organization: American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
Selection Notification: 31 December 2023
Applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Applicants should be women with a PhD in a scientific discipline within the
previous ten years
- Their current scientific research should be related to the area of water, sanitation
- Applicants should demonstrate how their research contributes to advancing knowledge in the focus area of the program in the SDG6 (Clean water and sanitation).
- The Awards are only for women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). Women in Social sciences, Humanities, Arts or other are NOT eligible.
- Applicants should apply for the following fields:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences (including Neurosciences)
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- The applicants should have worked and lived for a minimum of 5 of the last 15 years in one of
the 66 scientifically and technologically lagging countries (STLCs) listed here:
- Africa: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Dem. Rep. Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Arab Region: Djibouti, Palestine (West Bank & Gaza Strip), Sudan, Syrian Arab Republic, Yemen.
- Asia and Pacific: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, Kiribati, Lao People’s Dem. Rep., Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Timor Leste, Tuvalu, Vanuatu.
- Latin America & Caribbean: Bolivia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, Paraguay.
The 5 awards are available as follows: one prize for each of the aforementioned four regions of the developing world, plus an additional ¨floating” award for an outstanding candidate from any of these regions. The award consist of the followings:
- Cash prize of USD 5,000.
- All-expenses-paid trip to attend a relevant international conference.
- Proof of residency in an eligible STLC for the previous five years.
- Demonstration of how your study helps to achieve SDG6 (clean water and sanitation).
- A short biography of about 350 words outlining your road to becoming an outstanding scientist (we recommend writing this ahead of time and pasting it into the text box for convenience).
- PhD certificate
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Publications list in its entirety
- At least two letters of recommendation (reference letters must be written and signed by prominent scientists familiar with your research and must be prepared on official letterhead).
How to Apply for OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards?
Eligible Women Scientists can apply for OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards through the online application form linked below.
For more information about OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards, please refer to OWSD’s website.
You may also be interested to apply for these opportunities: