Opportunity ID 210851
Fields of study Various Fields
Opportunity Type : Fully FundedPartially Funded
Duration 1 to 4 Years
Language of Instruction English
NCKU admissions for international students willing to pursue their higher education at NCKU (National Cheng Kung University) in Taiwan is open now. This unique opportunity for international students is now open for the spring semester of the academic year 2024.
To be eligible, international candidates should qualify for legal international student status mentioned in the Regulations Regarding International Students Undertaking Studies in Taiwan and never once held the status of Overseas Chinese Student before making an application.
National Cheng Kung University (NCKU) is a public research university in Tainan, Taiwan. The University is famous for its engineering, medicine, computer science, and planning and design fields. NCKU, a top University in Taiwan, has played an essential role in creating the Taiwan Miracle. The University helped the country transform from an agriculture-based society to an industrialized economy between 1960 and 1970. Also, NCKU helped Taiwan further become one of the Four Asian Tigers.
Application Start: 01 July 2023
Application Deadline: 30 September 2023
Admission Result: 15 November 2023
Admission Letters Mailed: 15 December 2023
Course Entry Round: February 2024
Number of Opportunities: N/A
Eligible Countries: International
Duration of Programs: Undergraduate: Four years, master’s or Doctoral degree: One to four years and two to seven years
Host University: National Cheng Kung University (NCKU)
Fields of Study: Various Fields
Benefits of the NCKU Admissions for International Students
The Government of Taiwan, NCKU, and other funding organization provide scholarships and facilities for students to pursue their higher studies in Taiwan. NCKU engagement is entirely beneficent because international students may benefit from any of the variety of scholarship opportunities. Please review some significant scholarship opportunities and regulations available at NCKU:
A. NCKU Scholarship
- Veritas et Conscientia Scholarship (VCS): VCS is for full-time Ph.D. students in years one to four of their study program. Two seats are available, and the recipients will receive a maximum monthly stipend of NTD30,000 for 12- or 24 months. Please read more details in the official link.
- NCKU Distinguished International Student Scholarship: This scholarship opportunity has two categories: undergraduate and graduate. The total amount for Undergraduate admitted students starts from NTD10,000 to NTD15,000 for up to 12 months. The total amount for Master’s recipients is a monthly stipend of NTD15,000 maximum, and up to NTD25,000 for Doctoral recipients. These amounts are available for the top 20% to 40% of admitted students at NCKU.
- NCKU International Merit Students in Science and Mathematics Achievement Scholarship: This scholarship is available for foreign and overseas Chinese students who won awards from the “overseas mathematics and science competition” of NCKU, new students, and current NCKU students.
B. Government Scholarship Information
The Government of Taiwan also offers some unique scholarship opportunities at NCKU as follows:
- Taiwan Government Scholarship
- MOE Elite Scholarship for Doctoral or Master degree-seeking applicants
- International Cooperation and Development Fund (ICDF)
- Taiwan Semiconductor Scholarship
C. Departmental/ Institutional Scholarships
Check Similar Opportunities:
D. Industries Collaboration Scholarship
There are some opportunities for international students through NCKU industries collaboration scholarship as follows. Please note that these scholarships are only for students from NCKU partner institutions (Review Brochure 2 of the NCKU):
- NCKU Butterfly-ASEAN Scholarship: This opportunity is for outstanding Vietnamese students with living allowances. The maximum award quotas reach six students per academic year with a total of VND20,000,000 / NTD30,000 at once.
- Scholarship of NCKU-WNC International Talent Cultivation: This opportunity award is for current master overseas students only. The program’s primary purpose is cultivating NCKU’s outstanding talents, providing them with living allowances, internships, or job opportunities through this establishment. The total number of 10 students will receive NTD150,000 annually each for the first year.
- NCKU Butterfly-Li-Cheng Enterprise Taiwan-Vietnam Elite Scholarship: This scholarship is for Taiwanese or Vietnamese and current master’s or Ph.D. students only.
- SinoPac- NCKU Scholarships: Bank SinoPac has created these scholarships to encourage students at NCKU to outstanding performance and lessen their financial burden at the Undergraduate and graduate levels.
- SUN Bank ASEAN Scholarship: To encourage outstanding ASEAN students to study in Taiwan. Awardee will receive a total of NTD100,000 for one academic year.
Eligibility Criteria for NCKU Admissions for International Students
Applicants should meet the following criteria:
- International candidates should qualify for legal international student status mentioned in Regulations Regarding International Students Undertaking Studies in Taiwan
- Never has held the status of Overseas Chinese Student.
- Provide a high school diploma to apply for undergraduate programs, a Bachelor’s degree for a Master’s degree, and a Master’s degree for Ph.D. programs.
- An international student dismissed from the University or college after admission due to unsatisfactory behavior, poor academic performance, or criminal conviction case is not eligible to re-apply for admission.
- Previous recipients of the Republic of China scholarship or grant holders are not eligible for scholarships at NCKU.
- Meet each of the chosen departments or institute’s specific rules.
- Fulfill any additional NCKU admission requirements.
Applicants should prepare and submit the following supporting documents to apply for NCKU Admissions for International Students:
- Online Application Form
- Declaration Form download, print, sign, scan, and upload it back onto the application system.
- The highest degree diplomas verified with official stamps by the Republic of China’s embassies, consulates, or missions abroad.
- Transcripts of past-years academic studies verified with official stamps by the Republic of China’s embassies, consulates, or missions abroad.
- Financial statement
- Two recommendation letters in Chinese or English from the applicant’s teachers or employers; Referrers may use private format or NCKU’s Format.
- Identity card or Passport
- One Study Plan that indicates their educational background, research interest, and motivations for further study.
- English or Chinese Autobiography, check departmental requirements
- Academic thesis or relevant publications (for Ph.D. program applicants only)
- Additional or Language requirements of the department or institute
- Other reference documents (if applicable)
- The receipt of the application fee payment (NT$1,600)
How to Apply for NCKU Admissions for International Students?
All applicants can apply for NCKU admission using the online application portal. Please follow these steps as guidelines:
- Tab Apply Now button to enter the application portal.
- Start registering an account with the mentioned start date and end date.
- Login to and complete the online application to get the application serial number.
- Pay the application fee of NTD1,600 for each applicant.
- Upload all required documents in PDF files only.
- Reconfirm for correctly entered information and apply.
- Referees will receive a referral notification letter to the invited them after sending the application documents.
Please visit the official website of NCKU for further details about Admissions for International Students or review the brochures and booklet for international students.
Check More Opportunities: