Opportunity ID 207768
Fields of study Humanities
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 24 Months
Language of Instruction English
Students in the Fields of Humanities
The American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) accepts applications for the fifth competition of the Leading-Edge Fellowship program 2023. This program’s primary objective is to demonstrate the potential of humanistic knowledge and approaches to solve problems, advance justice and equity in society, and build capacity.
The Leading-Edge Fellowship is for applicants from diverse backgrounds, including historically under-represented people like scholars from low-income backgrounds, formerly incarcerated scholars, Black American, Hispanic or Latinx, Asian American, Pacific Islander, American Indian, first-generation college students, queer and trans scholars, and scholars with disabilities.
The supporting body behind this initiative is Mellon Foundation. Fellows will play essential roles in improving their skills and capacities honed while earning the humanities Ph.D. These roles include research, project management, advanced communication, and creative problem-solving.
Important Dates and Details
- Applications Status: Open
- Applications Deadline: 15 March 2023 (9:00 pm EDT)
- Tenure: 24 months
- Start Date: September 2023
- Position Title: Research Manager
- Host Organization: Lis of Hosting Organizations
- Organized by: American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS)
- Location:S. or Remote
- Degree Required:D.
- Medium of Instruction: English
- Number of Opportunity: N/A
- Funding Type: Fully-funded
- Eligible Country:N/A
- Focus Areas:Humanities (Social Justice)
Below is the list of hosts participating institutions:
- American Friends Service Committee(Remote)
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice| AAJC(Remote or Washington DC)
- Campaign for Southern Equality(Remote or Asheville, NC)
- Center for Cultural Power(Remote)
- Children’s Defense Fund(Washington DC)
- Data and Society Research Institute(Remote)
- Destiny Arts Center(Oakland, CA)
- Gender Justice(St. Paul, MN)
- Institute for Local Self-Reliance(Remote)
- Justice Action Center(Remote)
- Movement Advancement Project(Remote)
- Open Environmental Data Project(Remote)
- Policy Link(Remote or Oakland, CA)
- Strategic Actions for a Just Economy(Los Angeles, CA)
- The Afiya Center(Dallas, TX)
- Presidents’ Alliance on Higher Education and Immigration(USA, Washington, DC)
- The Public Theatre(New York, NY)
- Thurgood Marshall College Fund(Washington DC)
- University Settlement(New York, NY)
- Vital Voices(Washington DC)
- YWCA Metropolitan Chicago(Chicago, IL)
- Zora’s House(Columbus, OH
Benefits of the ACLS Leading Edge Fellowships
The ACLS Leading Edge Fellowships will cover the following expenses:
- A stipend of $66,000 in the first year and $70,000 in year two
- Professional development funding of $3,500 per year
- Relocation costs of $5,000
- Health insurance
- Post-fellowship placement opportunity
All candidates should meet the following requirements to apply for the ACLS Leading Edge Fellowships:
- Applicants should hold a Ph.D. degree conferred by their university between 01 September 2018 and 01 September 2023.
- Those who will graduate in the Spring or Summer of 2023 should verify with confirmation from their dissertation advisor or department chair.
- Applicants should submit a Ph.D. from any humanities or humanistic social sciences field.
- Should demonstrate authorization to work in the United States throughout the fellowship term.
How to Apply for the ACLS Leading Edge Fellowships?
All applicants should submit a complete application package, including the following documents, via the online portal:
- A short answer section about applying humanistic doctoral training to sectors beyond the academy
- Cover letter of one to two pages personalised to each selected project and addressed to the host organization
- A resume of one to two pages
- List of three references.
Note: No reference letters are necessary at the time of application. Those who apply for the two fellowship positions, please submit two resumes and a list of references.
Check More Opportunities