Opportunity ID 93829
Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Language of Instruction English
Submissions are now open for the second round of “This is Gender Global Photography Contest” 2021. The Global Health 50/50 is the organizer of the completion and invites photographers worldwide to share their perception and vision of what gender looks like and to submit pictures that discover the various ways in which gender norms are lived and undermined by men, women, and non-binary individuals. If you are a photographer and would like to enter the contest, don’t wait!
Submission closing date: 3 January 2021
Host: Global Health 50/50
Open to: Photographers worldwide but particular countries will be given preference (see below)
Why this competition?
As we are living in the times of a global pandemic and witness global turbulence, lives and society are experiencing large impacts and changes in diverse and gendered ways. And, gender inequality is being worsened in the current era and system. So, photography can be one of the best tools to reflect on diverse realities of gender by producing and distributing imagery.
Due to this, the Global Health 50/50 calls on photographers to contribute to sharing the imagery associated with the concept of gender by exploring, for example:
- How the landscape of work – professional, domestic, care or otherwise – is gendered
- How gender relates to health and wellbeing
- How politics and commercial businesses exploit gender roles and how they are challenged
- How gender bear a connection to other aspects of identities and vulnerabilities
Prizes and benefits
- £500 cash prize for the first-grade winner and cash prizes are also awarded to secondary category awards.
- Global featuring across GH’s platform, media partnerships, and through its world-class annual report.
- Opportunity to have your work highlighted in a curated exhibition (online if COVID-19 persists).
- Opportunity to join its global photographer database and network with organizations and individuals looking for imagery to supplement their work in global health and development.
- GH5050 certificate for an outstanding portrait of gender.
- All photographic and photojournalistic forms can be submitted to the competition.
- Photographers from low- and middle-income countries and communities are particularly encouraged to participate.
- The host specifically, but not exclusively, encourages the submission of works that contemplate these topics in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
A panel of international experts in photography, visual culture, gender, and global health will review, judge, and decide upon the winners.
The panel will evaluate your entry across two unique categories:
Visual merit and creativity:
- Strong visual impact.
- Thoughtful, considered composition and framing.
- Use of color (or intentional lack of color) and creativity.
Storytelling and perspective:
- Explicit relation to gender and/or health.
- The strong story behind the image.
- Distinct perspective on the subject.
How to enter the contest?
Entrants may submit their entries online through the link below.
- Each participant may submit up to two images per submission.
- Entrants can enter three submissions.
Submissions should have the following elements:
- A short narrative on the importance of the image to the themes of the photo competition (described above);
- The place and time the photo was taken; and
- Short artist’s biography.
- Acceptance of the terms and conditions
Please read the terms and conditions carefully before completing the entry.
For any technical queries, please contact Zealous via the online chat or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or, refer to the Global Health5050 website for more details and past year’s submission and details.