Opportunity ID 14628
About Independent Directorate of Local Governance:
On 30th August 2007, Presidential decree established IDLG, shifting the responsibilities of the Civil Administration unit of the Ministry of the Interiors to a newly-built independent directorate.
The IDLG is divided into the 3 Deputy Ministries of Municipalities (DMM), Deputy Administration and Finance (DAF), and Deputy Ministry of Policy (DMP).
Position Title: Procurement Specialist
Employment type: Full-time
Job locations: Baghlan, Balkh, Faryab, Kunduz, Ghor, Herat, Kandahar, Khost, Kunar, Laghman, Nangarhar, Nuristan, Takhar
Salary: As per NTA Grade C
Vacancy number: IDLG-DMM-CIP-020
No of vacancies: 13
Organization: Independent Directorate of Local Governance, Deputy Ministry of Municipalities & Cities Investment
Years’ of experience: 5 years
Contract duration: One year
Probationary period: 3 months
Closing date: 6 June 2020
About the project
The CIP, along with the ongoing KMDP and UDSP (and the anticipated EZ-Kar/Job Creation Project), would provide a well-integrated and sequenced program of institutional development, training, and investment financing that play a vital role in supporting Afghanistan’s urban development necessities. The UDSP is enhancing the institutional foundation for strategic development planning at the city level and enabling the creation of a pipeline of municipal investments at five PCCs.
As a complementary operation, the CIP would be designed in 2 stages using the SOP as follows:
SOP I ($50m, for 5 years) would procure financing for prioritized investments, while expanding SDF preparation to cover four extra cities, and SOP II ($150m, for 5 years) would provide financing for catalytic investments in nine cities. In SOP I, CIP would structure and mobilize the mechanism for performance-based financing for vital municipal investments. SOP I would be implemented by IDLG over five years with four components.
IDLG is hiring 13 Procurement Specialists for the implementation of its projects in the above-mentioned 13 provinces.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensuring that all the procurement activities of the project comply with the Afghan Government laws and Donor Agencies’ Procurement Guidelines;
- Producing bidding documents for the procurement of operations, goods and services according to activities set up in the Procurement Plan for the program;
- Preparing bid/proposal assessment reports and offering recommendations for approval of the Competent Authority;
- Coordinating and handling procurement queries, quarrels, and complaints;
- Assisting and working with the procurement unit to meet the procurement needs.
- Identifying the best procurement approach in handling procurement activities.
- The incumbent should have the ability to prepare REOIs/ RFPs/RFQs/SBD/Contracts and Shopping documents in light of the World Bank Procurement regulations for IPF Borrowers.
- The Procurement specialist shall do overall procurement process and support before, during and after the bidding/selection process to the assigned opening/evaluation committees and Procurement Unit.
- The Specialist must have practical experience with procurement cycle and procurement implementation.
- Support senior Procurement Specialist in developing, reviewing and processing annual procurement plan and to follow up with requestor teams.
- Must have ability to coordinate with and assist the Evaluation Committee members for drafting, reviewing and finalizing the TERs, CERs and EoIs shortlisting report & also to wrap up the projects with the technical team.
- Handle timely correspondence with bidder’s analyses for clarification and projects coordination with the technical departments.
- Should be able to draft & review award notifications, contracts/agreements.
- Should have the ability to report on a daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly bases to the Senior Procurement Specialist and the Head of Project.
- Should be able to exhibit practical knowledge of World Bank Procurement regulations.
- Arranging the opening of letters of credit if required and receiving shipping documents or arranging for tax exemptions and clearance of Goods if applicable.
- Should be able to oversee, track and accelerate all procurement activities and report on status to supervisor on a daily basis.
- Should be able to write contract negotiation minutes, procurement justification memos and thorough status reports as required by the Sr. Procurement Specialist and CIP Procurement Unit
- Is responsible for capacity development of municipalities procurement staff and delivering the trainings on World Bank Procurement regulations to them
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Engineering, Management, Economics, Law and Political Science any or pertinent field of education with 5 years of relevant experience.
At least 5 years’ or above experience as senior officer or specialist in the field of procurement and / or public sector and donor-funded projects (World Bank projects preferred).
3. Skills Required:
- Computer: Excellent understanding and usage of MS Office packages.
- Problem-solving skills
- Languages: enjoy an excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Dari/Pashto
4. Other skills and competencies:
- Familiarity with STEP program will be an addition to the incumbent.
- Well-organized and proactive approach to work
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Highly motivated for his/her professional and academic development
- Ability to take productive feedback
- Professional work ethics
Application submission guideline:
Eligible Afghan applicants are encouraged to apply and submit their resumes with a detailed application letter including a contact number and email address to the below email address. Females are strongly encouraged to apply.
Submission email: email@example.com
Note: Please indicate the vacancy number along with the Province Name you are applying or else your application will not be considered by the system.
You may also submit hard copies to: Independent Directorate of Local Governance, Deputy Ministry for Municipalities, District #: 4, Shahr-e-Naw, Ansari Square towards Kolola Poshta, Second Left Street, Beside Turkish Cargo Head office, Kabul – Afghanistan
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test/interview.