Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Humanities And Social Sciences
Opportunity Type : Partially Funded
Duration 6 Months
Language of Instruction EnglishFrench
Opportunity ID 80060
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering an internship within the Representation to the European Institutions in Strasbourg, France. If you are interested and meet the requirements of the vacancy, then you are the right person to apply and explore the UNHCR work in Europe.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, defending rights, and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless individuals. Moreover, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees has the mandate to spearhead and coordinate the internal effort to protect refugees and provide lasting solutions to their problems worldwide. The UNHCR Representation in Strasbourg was founded in 1996 to work closely and in cooperation with the Council of Europe (CoE) and the European Parliament when it is in session in Strasbourg.
Application deadline: 3 November 2020
Duty Station: Strasbourg, France
Duration: 6 months
Number of internships: 2
Start date: 16 November 2020 and 03 May 2021 (2 internships)
Position code: JO 22487
Interns who are not in receipt of financial support from an outside party will receive a stipend to partially help to cover the cost of food, local transportation, and living expenses.
In order to be considered for an internship, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a recent graduate (those who completed their studies within one year of applying) or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school program from a university or higher education institution accredited by UNESCO; and
- Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field related or of interest to the work of the Organization.
- An applicant whose immediate family member is a staff member of UNHCR, including a Temporary Appointment holder or a member of the Affiliate Workforce, is ineligible for an internship.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide general administrative help to the office.
- Assist with logistical assistance to events being organized by the office.
- Attend the meetings of the Council of Europe and the plenary sessions of the European Parliament as well to prepare summaries of the discussions and of adopted standards.
- Undertake research and collect information pertinent to the international protection of UNHCR’s persons of concern.
- Monitor the websites of the different Council of Europe entities on all matters relating to persons of concern to UNHCR’s.
- Prepare summaries of relevant adopted reports.
- Oversee and summarize pending cases as well as judgments and decisions delivered by the ECtHR.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience
- Adaptability and dynamism.
- Analytical thinking.
- Teamwork capacity.
- Outstanding writing skills in both French and English.
- Good knowledge of European human rights and refugee law.
- A degree (or about to earn a degree) in Law, Political Science, in the Humanitarian field, or any other relevant field of study.
- Fluency in French and English is mandatory.
- Full proficiency in all traditional computer programs.
UNHCR welcomes applications from candidates with a refugee background and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation and etc.
How to apply?
Interested applicants should submit their application electronically through the application link.
To apply, click on vacancies and search for JO 22487.
For more details, you may go to the official link.