Opportunity ID 145908
Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Opportunity Type : Fully FundedPartially Funded
Duration 3 days
Language of Instruction English
The call for submission of abstracts and registration for the 2021 UN/Austria Symposium is now open.
The 2021 UN/Austria Symposium “Space Applications for Food Systems” will be held from 7 to 9 September in Graz and also online. The key topic for the 2021 symposium is how space technologies support food systems and therefore contribute to activities around the UN Food Systems Summit summoned by the UN Secretary General.
Therefore, this Summit is part of the Decade of Action to achieve the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by 2030 that any of the SDG depends to some degree on safer, more sustainable, and equitable food systems.
Details at a glance
Abstract submission deadline: 31 May 2021
Registration deadline: 24 August 2021
Organizers: United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs and Austria
Modes of the conference: online and offline (Graz, Austria)
Symposium dates: 7-9 September 2021
Working languages: English
The Symposium aims to:
- Expand the exchange of best practices in the use of space applications for particular activities that are essential to food systems.
- Share experience and find out what services are available and how they can be leveraged to support policies in line with national priorities.
- Elaborate on how to adhere to regulations relating to food systems with the application of space technologies and applications.
- Unveil available toolboxes that have already been executed through case studies or pilot projects, seeking to encourage the adoption of tested tools and approaches.
- Discuss the role UNOOSA can play in implementing capacity-building activities, especially in developing countries.
- Increase awareness of relevant space-related activities, services and collaboration programs among diverse user groups, particularly government officials, the diplomatic community, UN and international agencies as well as NGOs.
- Manifest how initiatives based on space applications have been successfully devised and how they are being applied in different countries, in view of reporting best practices to the UN Food Systems Summit.
The program will include:
Keynote presentations: delivered by invited speakers;
Sessions: presentations from consecutive speakers, followed by short Q&A sessions with the audience;
Panels: speakers deliver a very brief introductory statement or presentation, followed by a moderated conversation among speakers and a Q&A session with the audience;
Pitches: very succinct presentations in which specific projects or initiatives are showcased, as in an “elevator pitch”.
Next to the above, the organizers are planning to suggest interactive ways for having online conversations among participants during the Symposium, particularly to find common grounds and discuss possible partnerships.
The symposium will look at how space data and applications can contribute to sustainable food systems with the following topics:
- Land use, waterways, and ocean management considering a nature-positive food production
- Optimization of food transport and traceability
- Crops and animals’ health, and prevention of pandemics
- The resilience of agriculture and aquaculture to vulnerabilities, impacts and stresses
- Disaster management and emergency response aimed at agriculture recovery
- The role of space applications in agriculture policies
Who can participate?
Members of the diplomatic community, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, research and development institutions, policy and decision-makers, senior professionals, researchers, engineers, and university professors, particularly from developing countries are the target participants for the event.
Please note that participation in the on-site event is very limited due to Covid-19 and online participation shall be accepted until the maximum capacity of the communication platform allows.
How to apply?
Individuals interested in delivering a presentation at the symposium as a SPEAKER can submit their completed application form and their presentation abstracts, and those interested to take part as participants in the symposium can register to be considered for the conference.
Submit your abstract HERE.
For additional information about the symposium, contact email@example.com.
Visit the Official Link to get more information.