Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Artwork, Cinema And Filmmaking
Opportunity Type : Partially Funded
Duration 12 Days
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 68782
Applications are now being invited for the 50th IFFR Young Film Critics trainee program for filmmakers. The International Film Festival Rotterdam (IFFR) launched the Young Film Critics trainee program to support a new generation of young and forthcoming film critics.
In this program, a group of young and inspired professional film critics from outside the Netherlands are invited to cover the festival that provides them with the means to polish their journalistic practice and discover the wide landscape of independent cinema on offer at IFFR, one of the primary international film festivals for the press, industry members and audiences.
Furthermore, in the past editions, IFFR welcomed Young Film Critics from all regions of the world and now it is time you to apply for the 2021 IFFR.
Submission deadline: 28 October 2020
Organizer: International Film Festival Rotterdam (IFFR)
Number of candidates for training: 5-8
Festival duration: 27 January – 7 February 2021
Format of the training program
Being a trainee, you are part of the editorial team of the festival. You will have meetings with expert film critics from different backgrounds, cover the festival for your own journalistic connection, and be part of IFFR’s editorial staff.
In view of the changing media landscape, this year’s program will place a strong focus on candidates with mixed talents –in addition to exceptional writing skills, experience in (or great ideas for) audiovisual, audio or other innovative styles of journalism are welcome.
Participating in IFFR 2021, you will enjoy benefits as follows:
- Complimentary IFFR 2021 press recognition
- Partial reimbursement for travel expenses for travel from outside Europe
- A full schedule. IFFR aims to make trainees fully integral to the festival and lets them participate in the delivery of daily festival outlets.
- The trainees will make a team, hosted by the IFFR Press Office and the festival editorial staff. Exploring all aspects of IFFR as part of the program and to cover for your own media.
- In case your participation is successful and you have published reports meeting IFFR’s standards (both in quality and quantity), you will gain the opportunity to visit the next edition of the festival as an accredited journalist.
- And, of course, you will also have a completely joyful experience of being at the International Film Festival Rotterdam.
You are eligible to apply if:
- You are below 30 years of age.
- Are fluent in the English language (written and verbal)
- Have experience in film criticism (print, video, audio, or online media) + storyboard or any creative form of daily reporting
- Address the following topics: film review, festival review, Film Industry reports, and trends, arts & culture review, masterclasses, and talks review
- You’re not yet proficient enough to profit from privileges like attending international film festivals outside of your country
- You have made an agreement(s) with relevant print and/or online media to publish reports on International Film Festival Rotterdam 2019.
How to apply?
The application for the festival is through email.
To apply for the edition in 2021, you should provide IFFR with the following*:
- Motivational letter
- Current resume
- The name and details of an affiliate (where or who you work with) for which you will cover IFFR 2021
- A recommendation letter of an editor (-in-chief) of that affiliate
- 3 pieces (written, audio or video) of recent work
And, send all the information in one combined PDF file to [email protected]
For additional information, visit this LINK.