Opportunity ID 8208
What fundamental economic and political change, if any, is needed for an effective response to climate change?
The Economist magazine was established in 1843 by James Wilson. Now it is one the most renown newspapers around the world. the Economist’s Open Future initiative which is a Global Organization was established last year to make the case for political, economic and social freedoms when these values are under assault. The initiative has lunched an essay competition to attract the supporter, and invited the young generation to write an elegant essay about What fundamental economic and political change, if any, is needed for an effective response to climate change?
Interested applicants can write the essay, win the prize, prepare for the journey and enjoy.
Deadline: 31 July 2019
Announcement date: 15th September 2019
Number of the winner: 1
The benefit of the competition:
- Winner will be able to attend to one of the three Economist’s Open Future program which will be held on 5th October 2019 in Hong Kong, Manchester or Chicago.
- Cover the whole expenses during the program.
- The winner’s essay will be published by the Economist
- For the relevant program for two nights:
- Hotel accommodation expenses
- Traveling cost
- That winner who is under 18 years, needs to be accompanied by one of the family members, the air ticket and hotel accommodation of him/her will be covered by the Economist.
- Note: the prize will not transfer to another person
Note: the insurance costs, costs of transfers to and from airports, food and drink other than meals will not be paid.
The costs must be covered by the winners:
- Passport cost
- Any necessary visas
- Other travel documents
title: What fundamental economic and political change, if any, is needed for an effective response to climate change?
- must not be any longer than 1000 word
- the essay must attract the Economist supporter
- the essay must be suitable for publishing in the Economist.
- The essay must explain one side, analyses the situation and build a case based on argument and facts
- The applicant’s age must be between 16-25 years
- Applicants can only submit one entry
- No purchase is necessary.
- Note: essays which are not meet the Economist’s regulations, that are illegible.
Who can not apply:
- Staff of Economist
- Affiliated companies and professional advisors of Economist
- Their immediate families
- Anyone professionally connected with the competition
Required documents for applicants who are under 18 years:
- Birth certificate
- Parental or guardian consent
- An ID card (Tazkira/ Passport)
- The judging panel is made by 5 people
- The subset of the panel is responsible to choose the best essay
- The winner will be selected from that shortlist by the panel
How to apply:
- Applicants must send their essay to OpenFuture@Economist.com
- Please write “Open Future essay competition” in the subject line of your email
- The winner will be informed by Email, Post or Phone
- please avoid sending any other documents
- all submitted must be the original
Official link of the program