Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Fields of study Various
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 80668
Shuttleworth Foundation is inviting applications from innovative individuals who have creative ideas for social change. Furthermore, the Foundation’s fellowships help individuals to implement their innovative idea for social change. Luckily, the organization is most interested in brilliant ideas at the intersection between technology, knowledge, and learning, with openness as the key requirement. Hence, this fellowship seeks to invest in individuals to change the world, now and in the future. If you believe that is you, apply!
Application closing date: 15 Oct 2021
Notification to applicants: 1 January 2022
Starting date: 1 March 2022
Organizing institution: Shuttleworth Foundation
The funding consists of two parts.
The fellowship grant, which is a salary equivalent intended to cover the full cost of your time. This amount is different between fellows, and you can share your realistic expectations with the foundation in this regard.
The second part is the project funding. This amounts to $275,000 per fellow each year, which is allocated for fellows to spend directly on their idea.
Who can apply?
- Anyone can become a Shuttleworth Fellow from any country or nationality.
- You do not need to have any specific level of education, or you could have a Ph.D.
- Having years of experience in the workplace or be an up and coming millennial is not a requirement. You should just have fluent communication ability in English.
- The personal investment you have to make in taking advantage of this fellowship is key.
- You could have or work in an organization for-profit or otherwise; however, it is not mandatory.
- You do not need to be of any specific gender.
- You should have a vivid sense of how you can contribute to changing the world for the common good.
- You should have the ability to articulate the problem, and your idea should demonstrate a fresh approach to addressing that problem.
- And, you should be able to convince the organizer why you are the best person to do this and how this particular fellowship might help you do that.
The foundation does not have a list of topics it is interested in funding or a call for proposals around a particular theme; however, it does have a sense of what pressing problems could its address in the world by placing a high emphasis on openness to ideas.
- Open education
- Open government
- Open science
- Health care
- Cultural expressions
- The open web
- The environment
Therefore, if you are planning to apply and see your idea illustrated above, give special consideration to articulating how your approach is innovative, adds value, what Shuttleworth might learn or discover.
Read more here regarding the above themes.
How to apply?
Applicants can submit an online application for this fellowship.
What you should include in your application:
- The (completed) application form. Please note not to use more than 1500 characters per essay question.
- Your 5-minute application video (you can make it public or private while submitting).
- Your updated resume.
Note: please remember that incomplete applications are not acceptable.
For more information regarding the fellowship, its areas of interest, and the topics or proposals it accepts, refer to the official link.