Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 20
Fields of study All Fields
Opportunity Type : Fully FundedPartially Funded
Language of Instruction EnglishJapanese
Opportunity ID 14300
Honjo International Scholarship Foundation (HISF) accepts applications from international students who are studying or plan to study at a graduate school in Japanese universities for a master’s degree or Ph.D. Applicants can submit their applications as long as the school’s capacity is filled. Students from all nationalities are encouraged to apply to any field of study. You can directly apply to this scholarship through the foundation, not needing pre-selection by the university.
Fall 2023 intake: April 1 – April 30, 2023
Interview: July 2023
Final result: July 31, 2023
Application for Spring 2024 intake:
- Spring intake: 1 September – 31 October 2023 (detailed information is found in the guideline for application available on the website)
- Result of document screening: January 31, 2024
- Interview: February 2024
- Final result: March 31, 2024
Research fields: all
Number of scholarships: Fall scholarship: a few students and Spring scholarship: 10
Evaluation method: documents screening and interview
- Apply to MA programs in OSCE Academy in Kyrgyzstan ( Fully Funded Scholarships 2023-2025)
- Cambridge University MBA Scholarship 2023 by Boustany Foundation
- 2023-24 Chinese Government Scholarship at Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT)
- Chinese Government Scholarship for Master and PhD Students at Dalian University of Technology
The scholarships are granted every month throughout the least period a degree takes to be completed, so it depends on the periods as follows:
- ¥200,000/month for 1 to 2 years degree
- ¥180,000/month for three years degree
- ¥150,000/month for 4 to 5 years degree
- Travel allowance is provided to scholarship receivers for attending international conferences etc.
To be deemed eligible for this scholarship, the international students must meet all the requirements listed below:
- Not hold Japanese citizenship;
- Be applying for the academic term beginning in spring/ Autumn 2023 at a graduate school in Japan;
- Those intended to enter graduate schools in April 2023 are ineligible to apply for this program;
- Only apply for the program scheduled to accept the application from October 1 to November 30;
- Students enrolling in a professional graduate school do not qualify to apply. Though, the student who can present a research proposal is eligible to apply;
- PhD program applicants should be 35 or younger
- Master’s program applicants must start the program by the age of 30 (no exception).
- The graduates ought to have a strong passion for serving in his / her home country after graduation;
- Have a profound grasp of international friendship and goodwill, and must take part in the events arranged by the foundation and partake in the network as an alumni member;
- Be able to handle an everyday conversation in Japanese; and
- Interviews will be held in Japanese (Without any exception);
- International Research Training Program Scholarship (IRTP) at UTS Australia
- Australian Government Research Training Program Scholarship for international students at Flinders University
- Knight Hennessy Scholarship for Master and PhD at Stanford University
- Academic transcript (In Japanese or English; in case of other languages, a translation should be annexed.
- Academic transcript of the undergraduate course is compulsory.
- In the event you transferred into the university from the College of Technology (kōsen school system), its transcript is also required.
- Research Proposal: Use the provided sample and write in the Japanese language (an MS Word template file is available on our website).
What you should include in the proposal are:
- What your research going to be on,
- What and how you are going to help your home country based on what you will have to learn or study in Japan,
- What are your achievements regarding research, academic, and social contribution?
- A recommendation letter (in Japanese or English) from the supervisor (who can be a recommender from your own country).
- Proof of admission to the university, such as an admission letter, a letter of acceptance, etc.
- The certificate of enrollment only if the student is already enrolled in graduate school.
- Note: In case the admission letter or the letter of acceptance is not available by May 31, 2020, please fill the possible date provided in the “web application system.” And send it to the HISF office via email as soon as it is available.
- A recommendation letter titled “A letter to be sent directly” can also be sent by email or postal mail by a recommender.
- Photocopied documents can also be used to be uploaded.
Submission email for letters: is [email protected]
- The data you have provided can be changed or replaced.
- The application documentation will not be returned to the applicants.
- The student cannot change his /her course after the commencement of the scholarship period.
- Those whose enrollment period is less than one year are ineligible to apply.
To apply, please consider the following steps:
- Proceed through web application system. Fill out the required information on the form and upload the necessary documents in PDF,
After you apply, you will receive an application number; make sure to save the number so that you will be able to check your result according to that number.
- Academic transcript
- Research proposal (use the designated template ) describing:
- B-1. What you are going to research
B-2. What and how you are going to contribute to your home country based on what you
will learn or study in Japan
B-3. What you already achieved regarding research, academic, and social activity
- B-1. What you are going to research
- Recommendation letter from a supervisor should be directly sent to [email protected] by recommender
- admission letter/acceptance letter
If you want to read more about this opportunity please visit the Hanjo International Scholarship foundation