Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Opportunity Type : Partially FundedSelf Funded
Duration 3 Weeks
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 52743
The University of Bergen has developed this online course on ‘Global Health, Conflict and Violence’ which will explore the role of medical peace work and healthcare workers in times of conflict and violence. So, in this course you will understand the basic principles and varying forms of medical peace work in the context of global health, conflict and violence. You will consider the role healthcare workers have to play in the preclusion of violence and peace practices.
You will see scenarios such as working in a conflict zone, nuclear explosions, storms, floods, heat waves, infectious disease, migration and violent conflict while considering the effects of each of these on global health.
- Course developer: University of Bergen
- Instruction language: English
- Course provider: Future Learn
- Course type: Online and self-paced
- Subject: Healthcare & Medicine
- Price: Free with limited access, monthly subscription: $27.99 or buy this course: $54
- Duration: 3 weeks (3 hours per week)
- Start date: Available now
- Free Course will expire on: August 26, 2022
See the list of instructors here.
After completing this course, you‘ll be able to:
- Talk about different definitions of the concepts of violence, conflict and peace, and their relationship to health professions
- Elucidate the types of medical peace work that health care professionals can partake in globally and locally
- Assess and respond to various forms of violence in health practice
Who can enroll?
This course is intended for global health experts and undergraduate and postgraduate students in healthcare disciplines (medicine, nursing, allied and public health) and global health and development studies too.
What topics will it cover?
1) Animated stories to explain the effects of personal and structural violence in global health:
- Working in a conflict zone
- Responding to a nuclear explosion
- Getting ready for the health effects of climate change
2) Essential concepts of medical peace work:
- The shapes that violence can take: direct, structural, and cultural
- The hierarchies of violence: collective, interpersonal, and self-induced
- The levels at which violence occurs: mega, macro, meso, and micro
- How to prohibit all these forms of violence
- 100% online
- Access to this course for 3 weeks
How to apply?
You can apply and pursue this course by completing a registration in the given link.
For more information about Free Online Course on ‘Global Health, Conflict and Violence’ by University of Bergen, please refer to FutureLearn’s website.
You may also be eligible for these opportunities:
- Free Online Course on ‘Causes of Climate Change’ by University of Bergen, Norway
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship for over 180 Countries including Afghanistan
- Queensland University of Technology Free Online Course on ‘Teaching Entrepreneurial Thinking
- Earth Company’s “Impact Hero 2023” Program for Change-makers from Asia-Pacific Countries
- Japan MEXT University Recommendation (UR) Scholarship at Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University