Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Language of Instruction English
The International Federation of Surveyors (FIG) _ a United Nations and World Bank recognized non-governmental organization of national member associations _ is inviting application s for the FIG Foundation Scholarships 2021. The foundation offers scholarships of up to 4,000 Euros plus possible funding for conference travel to Ph.D. Students. Therefore, if you are a Ph.D. student or lecturer meeting other criteria of the scholarship, this is a good chance for you to apply.
Application deadline: 1 June 2021
Host institution: International Federation of Surveyors (FIG)
- The scholarship value for applicants is 4000 euros.
- Successful applicants will be eligible for a further grant of up to 3,000 euros to take part in and present a peer-reviewed paper at a FIG conference.
To be eligible, applicants shall:
- be studying for a Ph.D. degree and enrolled solely in a surveying/geomatics academic program that teaches surveying in a country listed by the World Bank as a low-income, lower-middle or upper-middle income economy (see the list here),
- Have had a paper accepted by a peer-reviewed international journal based on their doctoral research project; applicants should be the lead author, and the paper should be co-authored with their supervisor,
- Should not have submitted their final thesis at the time of application.
Applications will be evaluated and chosen as per the quality of the application and need. If two excellent applications are judged to be equally qualifying, applications from low-income and lower-middle-income countries will be preferred.
Other Ph.D. Scholarships for you to apply:
- “Ph.D. Program on Innovation, Economics, and Governance for Development” at UNU, Netherlands
- “PhD Program on Innovation, Economics and Governance for Development” at UNU, Netherlands
- 15 PhD Positions for Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) in Multi European Countries
- Berlin Graduate School for Global and Transregional Studies (BGTS) PhD Program in Germany 2021
How to apply?
To apply, applicants should prepare and submit the documents listed below through email, as well as complete the submission checklist.
The following set of documents in English as a single file in PDF format on A4 size paper using 25 mm (1” margins) should be submitted.
- Each item of your proposal should begin on a new page.
- Ensure that you comply with the requirements above to avoid ineligibility.
- Also, make sure that all the following required documents are correctly filled in and included in your application.
- Potential candidates should watch both videos on (How to Apply for FIG Grants)on the FIG Foundation web page under Grants & Fellowships.
List of required documents
- A completed checklist. This checklist is provided at the end of this document and you should use this to check that all documents are covered in your application and also include the checklist in your submission.
- A cover sheet indicating the candidate’s personal details and those of his/her institution.
- A short description and argument on how the applicant’s academic program addresses the “teaches surveying and graduates surveyors” component of Qualification Criterion 1 above. Provide web links to program descriptions, course outlines and details of courses.
- A 200 word abstract as per the template.
- A one-page research proposal as per the sample below on A4 size paper. Note that the one-page limit will be strictly applied.
- For the paper accepted by a peer-reviewed international journal based on their doctoral research project, share a copy of the paper that was re-submitted to the journal after corrections have been done, or submit the published paper.
- A letter from the editor of the journal stating that the paper has been accepted and that the mandatory corrections have been completed reasonably.
- The journal’s referees’ reports for the paper.
- A list of peer-reviewed journal publications over the past 6 years where the International Journal of GIS (IJGIS) reference list format has been used.
- A list of research funding gained over the past 5 years, indicating which grants are peer-reviewed or not.
- A description of research compliance, the research account and activity auditing structures and processes in their institution.
- A description of the structures and processes in their institution that relate to research ethics, in particular ethics related to research involving human subjects, if applicable.
Note: Provide the names and web addresses of the administrative departments and official organization descriptions dealing with research compliance.
- A budget stating how the funds will be used and a one-page justification of the budget.
- A brief letter from the applicant’s Ph.D. supervisor indicating that they have read this document, that they confirm that the applicant has seen the videos on How to Write Grant Proposals to the FIG Foundation, and that they have read the applicant’s proposal and recommend (or not) that the FIG Foundation Board of Directors consider the proposal.
- Prepare and submit a comprehensive academic CV in a separate PDF document.
Send your application to: [email protected]
For more comprehensive information about this call, instructions on writing a proposal, and reading supplementary materials/watching reference videos, do visit the FIG Foundation PhD Scholarships.