Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
Language Requirement Not Required
No. of Opportunity 31
Fields of study Social Sciences And Humanities
Opportunity Type : Fully Funded
Duration 9 Months
Language of Instruction English
The applications for the French Institute for Advanced Study (FIAS) fellowship program are now open. The FIAS delivers 10-month fellowships distributed in the four Institutes of Paris, Lyon, Montpellier, and Marseille. Likewise, it invites applications from esteemed and experienced international researchers and scientists, mainly in the fields of the social sciences and the humanities (SSH). The fellows at FIAS will enjoy the freedom to organize their work and plan research as they wish.
Application deadline: Jully 6, 2021 (3 pm Paris Time)
Fellowship provider: French Institute for Advanced Study (FIAS)
Research areas: all courses in the Social Science & Humanities (SSH) and all research fields. Research projects from other science fields proposing a transversal dialogue with SSH are also qualified.
Duration: 10 month
Academic year: 2022-23
The number of fellowships: There are 28 fellowships available:
The FIAS Fellows will benefit from:
- The support and encouraging scientific environment presented by the IAS, in an interdisciplinary class of fellows and in close relation to the local research strength;
- A net allowance of €2,700 per month;
- Two flexible contractual options, taking individual situations into account: work contracts or paid leave;
- Sufficient social security coverage;
- Lodging or support for relocation;
- An individual research and training budget amounting to €2,500 per year;
- Travel expenses (one two-way trip from the fellow home country);
- Working conditions, including individual offices, special access and lending facilities in university-based research libraries, IT services, multiple collective spaces; and
- Skills training opportunities.
- Researchers from all countries are eligible to apply.
- Exceptional researchers of all career levels, from postdoctoral researchers to senior scientists, can apply.
- As the least requirement, fellows should have Ph.D. + 2 years of research experience while applying. The exception will be used to scholars with a Master’s degree who have six years of full-time research experience after the degree (Ph.D. training will not be considered in the calculation of experience)
- Applicants should have spent no more than 12 months in France during the three years before the application deadline.
The scientific selection of the fellows is competitive, merit-based, and held through an international independent peer review.
Double peer review: September-November 2021
Pre-selection and notification of pre-selection results: November 2021
Selection by the four IAS Scientific Advisory Boards and announcement of final results: January 2022
How to apply?
Applicants should create an account on the FIAS user page. Then, applications for the program can be submitted exclusively online via that website. Having made the account and once logged in, you will be able to access the application form and to proceed with your application.
The required application documents (in English exclusively) will include:
- The completed online application form
- A detailed resume of the applicant
- A copy of the diploma
- A 5-page outline of research (excluding the bibliography)
- A thorough list of publications
- Recommendation letters
- A list of three to five publications (articles or book chapters)
- A letter of support/interest by an IAS’s local scientific partner (except for Marseille IAS)
For further information, you may refer to the FIAS 2021/22 Fellowship Program.