Opportunity ID 11679
DESY Summer Student Program in Germany is a 6-week program offered for undergraduate students who study Physics or relevant natural science disciplines to take part in research activities of laboratory. The program is organized by Deutsches Electronen Synchrotron Desy is one of the leading research centers in the world in the areas of photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics.
- Selected applicants will join Photon Science and Elementary Particle Physics, Astroparticle Physics and Accelerators groups at DESY and European XFEL that address fundamental and applied questions in the following fields:
- physics, biology, chemistry, crystallography, materials and geological sciences, computing and engineering. This includes research with synchrotron radiation on molecules, soft matter, solid-state and nanomaterials, the development of new experimental techniques based on synchrotron radiation and lasers and the theory of interaction of matter and light.
- Projects in the analysis, software or detector related fields of experiments in elementary particle physics (ATLAS, CMS, ILC, BELLE II, ALPS II) and astroparticle physics (CTA, IceCube), development of particle accelerators and detectors, theory or computing.
- Hamburg or Zeuthen (Berlin), Germany
Program period: July 21- September 10, 2020
Deadline: January 31, 2020
Number of participants: 100
- All accepted students will be provided a subsistence allowance of 1200 Euros per month to cover living expenses.
- Travel expenses will be subsidized (150- 400 Euro)
Who can apply?
- Applicants should have completed three years of full-time university studies by summer 2020.
- Please take note that due to regulations for paid traineeships in Germany we can only accept students that are enrolled at their university for the whole period of the summer student program.
- Applicants should have completed, by the summer of 2020, at least three years of full-time studies at the university level in physics, related natural science disciplines or computing. Please take note that large majority of projects we offer are for physics students. The main target audiences are students who in summer 2020 are at the following two stages:
- – they are about to obtain their Bachelor degree
- – they have a Bachelor’s degree and are within the first year of studies for a Master’s degree.
- Applicants who already obtained a master-degree or will obtain a master’s degree in 2020 are not accepted.
- Applicants should not have previously been at DESY as a summer student
How to apply?
Applicants should read the conditions carefully and apply online. Selected applicants will be sent an official letter to present it to the German embassy in your respective country with a medical insurance policy
- Passport for Non-Eu countries
- Two letters of reference