Language Requirement Other
Fields of study Afghanistan Study
Opportunity Type : Partially Funded
Language of Instruction English
Opportunity ID 209929
The American Institute of Afghanistan Studies (AIAS) is now accepting applications for its Research Fellowships in 2023. The fellowships are towards short-term projects or other research programs to advance scholarship in Afghanistan. AIAS offers different fellowship opportunities for researchers conducting work within Afghanistan studies.
AIAS offers a yearly fellowship series through the John F. Richards Fellowship program. The Richards Fellowship is in honor of Professor John F. Richards, a founding member of AIAS and a supporter of scholarship in South Asia.
The fellowships are mainly into two categories, including the Afghanistan Research Grants and Research Travel Fellowships.
About the American Institute of Afghanistan Studies (AIAS)
Founded in 2003, the American Institute of Afghanistan Studies (AIAS) is a non-profit organization promoting the advanced study of Afghanistan in the United States. The institute is located at Boston University in Massachusetts and is a member of the Council of American Overseas Research Centres.
Since the establishment of the AIAS, many academic institutions in the United States have become affiliated with the institute. The affiliated institutions with AIAS include Boston University, the University of Chicago, Columbia University, New York University, the University of Michigan, James Madison University, and the University of Virginia.
AIAS indorses multi-disciplinary approaches to Afghanistan study and provides fellowship grants to those seeking fieldwork in Afghanistan while pursuing a relevant Ph.D.
Registrations Status: Open
Registration Deadline: 17 April 2023
Fellowship Duration: N/A
Organized by: American Institute of Afghanistan Studies (AIAS)
Location: United States (U.S.)
Medium of Instruction: English
Funding Type: Partially-funded
Eligible Country: All
Field of Study: Afghanistan Study
Benefits of the AIAS Research Fellowships
By applying to the AIAS Research Fellowships, fellows will benefit from the program as follows:
- Total $6,000 Research Travel Fellowships awards to U.S. Citizens and scholars of all levels to conduct Afghanistan-related research outside of the United States and Afghanistan
- Total $3,000 Afghanistan Research Grant to all citizenship and rank scholars to conduct research and support writing inside the United States
Requirements for the AIAS Research Fellowships
Candidates who wish to apply for the AIAS Research Fellowships must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants should be individual members of AIAS to be eligible for the fellowship
- For Research Travel Fellowship, applicants should be only U.S. Citizens, and it is for scholars of all levels.
- Research Travel Fellowship applicants are not for travel to, from or within Afghanistan; applicants cannot use it for work within the United States.
- Afghanistan Research Grant applicants should be U.S. Citizens, U.S. Permanent Residents, and Non-U.S. Citizens with a U.S. Institutional Appointment.
- Graduate (M.A./Doctoral), Post-Doctoral, junior and senior scholars can apply for the Afghanistan Research Grant.
Applicants should submit the following materials to apply for the AIAS Research Fellowships:
- And updated full CV
- Maximum 1,500 words statement explaining the nature of the proposed research or project, including the contribution to Afghan studies in the future.
- Detailed budget narrative
- Three letters of recommendation
- Project timeline with research locations
How to Apply for the Research Fellowships?
All applications procedure is online via the online google form linked below.
Check More Opportunities:
Short-Term Research Fellowships in Europe by Green Deal Network
World Bank Robert Fellowships Program (RSMFP) for Developing Country Applicants in the U.S.A.
Young Health Program Impact Fellowship to Attend OYW Summit 2023, UK (Fully Funded Scholarship)
For further information about the Research Fellowships, please visit the official website or email [email protected].