Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
No. of Opportunity 24
Duration One Year
About Emerging Leaders Consulting Services (ELCS):
Emerging Leaders Consulting Services (ELCS) is a vibrant research and business consultancy firm that is unique for its experience, business integrity and innovation. ELCS scope of engagement extends across several sectors, such as public health, education, private sector development, conflict and humanitarian emergencies, and the environment.
Position Title: Community Health Officer
Job Locations: Kabul, Balkh, Nangarhar and Herat
Employment Type: Full-time
Functional area: Healthcare
Vacancy #: ELCSCHO-022101
Salary: As per NTA Salary Scale Grade C
Organization: Emerging Leaders Consulting Services (ELCS)
Working experience: At least three years
Contract duration: One year (extendable)
Gender: Male and Female
Closing date: 6 March 2021 (11:59 PM)
Emerging Leaders Consulting Services (ELCS) is hiring 24 Community Health Officers for the above provinces who will work to implement the intended project. Eligible candidates can read the details below and apply accordingly.
About the project
ELCS is a core partner in the newly awarded USAID-funded Assistance for Families and Indigent Afghans to Thrive (AFIAT) project. The project operates to improve access to, provision of quality health and nutrition services in the country. To help the implementation of the project at the primary health system level, ELCS requires the service of Provincial Community Health Officer in AFIAT support provinces.
Community Health Officers (CHOs) will be required to:
- Work with AFIAT Senior Field Office Manager and PI officers to execute project activities in target health facilities and community level.
- Assist with AFIAT Senior Field Office Manager and PI officers to initiate dialogue with PPHOs in support of project implementation.
- Provide inputs in project implementation modality particularly in the roll out of TSTs
- Work with Senior Field Office Manager and PI officers to represent the AFIAT project on different provincial platforms.
- In collaboration with Senior, Field Office Manager establish contact with BPHS implementing NGOs and other organizations operating in AFIAT-supported projects
- Develop close links with and mentor Community health supervisors, CHWs, and local communities in particular key important community members with an emphasis on respectful maternity care and gender-sensitive care for the related CBHC activities.
- Cooperate with Senior Field Office Manager to lead provincial planning including field visits by TSTs in support of project activities.
- Deliver community-level support to the TSTs for further engagement of the community.
- Guide initiation of dialogue with local communities regarding AFIAT and the TSTs: Provide support and guidance to local communities including an orientation on the TSTs, their role, scope, and ensure their representation in the composition of TSTs
- Work with local communities to foster their participation in TSTs and other provincial-level platforms.
- Support local communities, the Health Shura representative in their role while serving as TST member.
- Work with local communities to prepare them for the rapid assessment and follow-up TST visits at the community/HPs level.
- In collaboration with local communities, map existing community compacts that can be replicated for use in AFIAT.
- With support of the AFIAT national team, particularly the Senior Community Health Advisor and Senior Field Office Manager and PI officers, develop and or adapt the community compacts and scorecards.
- Coordinate TSTs related activities with local communities including their visits to HFs.
- Provide support in the field arrangements for the surveys proposed by AFIAT during the project.
- Assist with the coordination of the survey implementation with local authorities including PPHOs, NGOs, and local communities.
- Oversee the implementation of project surveys by organizing data quality assurance visits to the survey sites.
- Prepare and submit an activity progress report to the line supervisor on a regular basis.
- Timely submission of survey data to the central level for further analysis.
- Ready to travel in the province as needed and according to the security recommendations given by the provincial Field Office Senior Manager.
- Adhere to AFIAT field office regulations.
MD degree, Midwifery and Nursing graduate from recognized university or institutes.
- At least 3 years of related experience in Afghanistan’s health system.
- Enough knowledge of Afghanistan’s health system.
- Demonstrated practical experience working with BPHS and EPHS projects.
- Previous experience working with USAID support health projects is an advantage.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of different community health interventions proposed in BPHS and EPHS packages including, RMNCH, Nutrition, child health/EPI, and Tuberculosis.
- An understanding of Afghanistan’s socio-cultural norms including local community dynamics.
- Understanding of present gaps in community-based health programs and quality of services in Afghanistan is preferable.
- Demonstrated track record in leading community-based health projects is preferred.
- Knowledge of different Monitoring and Evaluation and supervision techniques including supportive supervision and great communication skills.
- Previous experience working with local communities in health-related projects.
- Knowledge of different capacity-building programs implemented in the past is desirable.
- Strong skills in community mobilization and participation techniques.
- Demonstrable ability to work independently and under tight deadlines.
- Ability to take initiative and lead work process with less supervision.
- Experience in designing training or mentoring workshops is a benefit.
- Demonstrated ability to work and adapt to challenging environments.
- Past successful achievements in presentation and facilitation skills.
- Ability to operate computer and Ms. Office packages.
- Good command of local languages and communication in written and verbal English.
How to apply?
Interested candidates should submit a CV with a cover letter before the deadline to the below emails. Please mention the vacancy number, position title in the subject line of your email. Also, mention the name of the province you are applying for both in your cover letter and in the subject box of the email.
Only applicants who meet the job requirements will be contacted.