Degree Non Degree Program/Certificate
No. of Opportunity 18
Duration 9 Months
About Afghan Aid:
Afghan Aid is an International Non-Government Organization (INGO) registered in the United Kingdom. Afghan Aid is an active member of the Agency Coordinating Body for Afghan Relief (ACBAR, based in Kabul) and British and Irish Agencies Afghanistan Group (BAAG, a London-based network of British and Irish NGOs working in Afghanistan).
Position Title: Agriculturist
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Locations: Badakhshan, Takhar and Samangan
Salary: Based on the organization’s salary scale
Vacancy #: VA-2021-08
Organization: Afghan Aid
Years’ of experience: 3 years
Contract duration: 9 months (2-month probation)
Closing date: 28 February 2020
Afghan Aid is recruiting 152 social organizers for the 3 aforementioned provinces. Eligible applicants can read the details below and apply accordingly.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Under the direct technical observation of the project coordinator, the position holder will be doing the following key responsibilities:
- With the assistance of the project coordinator, the agriculturist will develop a daily and monthly work plan.
- Conduct regular visits to the district program site at 90 % time to field to monitor and assess the performance of target beneficiaries’ and provide them with the information and technical advice as required.
- closely work with pertinent project field staff and target farmers to implement the project activities
- Distribute the wheat seed, cash, vegetable seed, and home garden kits to the targeted recipients.
- Conduct mobilization meetings with target farmers, and stimulate sustainability through farmer’s participation in all Agricultural activities.
- Hold constant visits to farmer’s fields, determine technical problems, investigate reasons, propose effective solutions to farmers and commercial growers to ensure crop quality and low crop damage and ensure improved crop production levels.
- Provide information or recommendations to farmers or other landowners regarding ways in which they can best use the land, promote plant growth, or avoid or rectify problems such as erosion.
- Perform experiments to develop new or enhanced variants of field crops, emphasizing on traits such as yield, quality, disease resistance, nutritional value, or adaptation to particular soils or climates.
- Devise new or improved methods or products for controlling or eliminating weeds, crop diseases, or insect pests and identify or classify species of insects such as locusts.
- Evidence and share case studies, success stories and field visit report as and when necessary.
- Discuss with the community regarding the extension of new methodology and introducing new varieties and techniques in the area.
- Deliver agro technique, home garden, poultry management training to project farmers.
- Conduct the post-distribution, beneficiary’s survey and post-harvesting survey in the field.
- Deliver nutrition education and hygiene training to farmers in the target communities.
- Prepare the beneficiary’s complaint and feedback committee during distribution, and he/she will give beneficiaries information regarding the targeting criteria, what is being distributed, who is involved (e.g. GoA, FAO, implementing partners, etc.).
- Receive inputs from FAO and should submit confirmation of inputs receipt on the same day the inputs provided to the distribution point.
- Observe FAO criteria for all inputs during the beneficiary’s selection.
- Consult with stakeholders and implement project criteria for choosing poultry, home garden and wheat seed receivers.
- Involve in conflict resolution of likely disagreements which may emerge because of miscommunication or conflicting interests of interested groups, and timely deal with them.
- Document and communicate decisions to pertinent individuals and organizations in a timely manner.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of relevant experience in agriculture or community development project.
Skills and competencies
- Proficiency in computer software MS Office etc.
- Report writing skills
- Ability to deal with difficult, often challenging work conditions.
- A behavioral role model for peers and fellow teammates.
- Fit to work with significant levels of independence and ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Sensitivity to gender issues.
- Be Fluent in Dari, Pashto and good English (written and oral competency).
- Personal integrity, sense of humor, instinctive and self-motivated
- Knowledge of personal strengths and weaknesses & active listener.
How to apply for these positions?
All eligible candidates have to send their CV and cover letter to the given email address before the deadline.
Applicants must mention their names and job title in the subject of their email otherwise their applications will not be considered.
Note: Your cover letter should not be more than (1) A4 page and CV not more than 4 A4 pages accordingly. Explain in your cover letter why you are suitable for this position. Also, include three professional references in your CV including your current employer.
Submission email: [email protected]